Replacing SATA II with SATA-600

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by flangie501, Dec 30, 2012.

1. flangie501 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm new here and apologies if this tread is already somewhere else!

Basically I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook5,1 (2.4GHz Intel Core Duo) whose hard drive I upped to 750GB and ram to 8GB.

I've now been thinking of switching out the hard drive to a SEAGATE Momentus 2.5" internal hard drive SATA-600 7200rpm with 750 GB + 8 GB SSD memory.

My question is, will my MacBook support a SATA-600 hard drive? And assuming it does, would I first install Mountain Lion onto the SSD and then using disk utility replace my data from my Time Machine?

2. simsaladimbamba

S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSDs and HDDs are backwards compatible with S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) and S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interfaces, any internal HDD will not even saturate S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) though, except something like the Momentus XT, even with its small flash storage, but S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) is more than fine with that.

"Memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
    The above links also apply to SSDs.

Btw, as the flash storage of the Momentus XT is integrated into the device and not a separate partition, you do not have the option to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion onto the SSD part.

from http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Seagate-Momentus-XT-750GB-Hybrid-Drive/

3. flangie501 thread starter macrumors newbie