Replacing SATA II with SATA-600

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by flangie501, Dec 30, 2012.

1. flangie501 macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2012
    Hi Guys,

I'm new here and apologies if this tread is already somewhere else!

Basically I have a late 2008 unibody MacBook5,1 (2.4GHz Intel Core Duo) whose hard drive I upped to 750GB and ram to 8GB.

I've now been thinking of switching out the hard drive to a SEAGATE Momentus 2.5" internal hard drive SATA-600 7200rpm with 750 GB + 8 GB SSD memory.

My question is, will my MacBook support a SATA-600 hard drive? And assuming it does, would I first install Mountain Lion onto the SSD and then using disk utility replace my data from my Time Machine?
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III) SSDs and HDDs are backwards compatible with S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) and S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) interfaces, any internal HDD will not even saturate S-ATA 1.5 Gbps (S-ATA I) though, except something like the Momentus XT, even with its small flash storage, but S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) is more than fine with that.

"Memory" is not the same as "hard drive / storage capacity":
    It is recommended, to have 10 to 20 % of the SSD/HDD's capacity unused.
    The above links also apply to SSDs.

Btw, as the flash storage of the Momentus XT is integrated into the device and not a separate partition, you do not have the option to install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion onto the SSD part.

3. flangie501 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2012