Replacing Sata wires for Bottom hard disk drive bay

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Soura2112, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I have a 2005 G5 and my Bottom bay HD wires are busted. I need to obviously buy new ones but the problem is I can't figure out where the wires go, I can find the smaller wire, but not the bigger power wire (i think its the power). When I open up the G5 it looks like the big wire goes behind the board (and I really dont want to take the whole thing apart!). Does anyone have a picture explaining where all the wires go in a 2005 G5. I have goggled it, but just internal pics and simple explanations come up, I am looking for something more complicated so I know where the bottom bay wires go to.
    Any help would be great! If anyone has switched out the wires before please let me know, cause this is nuts. They make everything else in the G5 easy to do but this. ( This all happened because I shipped it and the wires snapped on my bottom drive)
    Thanks

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I think.... If you can't figure out where the wires go, you shouldn't be messing about inside your system. Anyway, search google for G5 maintenance/tech manuals and you'll find loads of visual guides. :)

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

There are only 2 cables for HDD's.....1 for power, which goes to the Power Supply, and the data cable, which goes to the motherboard controller......

Granted, they may follow twisty, turny paths to get to their final destination, but they each can only go where they need to go, and following those paths from start to finish (and replacing them correctly) WILL involve going behind the motherboard.....

4. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

I noticed when I was looking at the wires I noticed one went behind the motherboard but I wanted to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. I was really careful with the power cord to see where it went. I read other some other topics where it could be threaded down there but well see what I decide to do. Thankfully I have a Mac wiz as a friend to help me (either way I go) I just like my stock drive, but it's to small, but I would have liked to keep the old drive as the bottom and add in a larger drive as my top.
    But thanks again, cause I could not find a picture anywhere on google showing where the wires went on that drive.

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Here's another take on it-- make it easy on yourself without risk that you take on of possible logic board damage when you have to remove it ($$$$$)-- just get a PCI-X SATA Controller Card with a couple of internal SATA ports and use of it its connections for the second drive. Considering they are pretty cheaply availalble (down to about $20 or so) and would take about two minutes to install it would seem like a much better solution IMO. ;)