Replacing screen....identification needed

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cheeryble, Mar 24, 2010.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Hi I recently sent this to Papatek but am waiting for an answer and wonder if someone could give me one to save time.
    thanx Cheeryble

Hi there from Chiangmai Thailand.

I need a screen for my mid 2006 Black Macbook model A1181. part MA472
    I see you have several advertised including

APPLE MACBOOK A1181 13.3 WXGA LCD SCREEN LP133WX1

APPLE MACBOOK A1181 13.3 WXGA GLOSSY LCD SCREEN
    $67.90

Apple A1181 13.3-inch LCD Screen
    $80.00

I also see that the LG Philips on offer have slightly different numbers such as
    LP1333WX1TLA1, LP1333WX1TLC1, LP1333WX1TLN3 etc.
    What's the difference?
    Could you please point me to the correct and cheapest option?
    Thanks.

2. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Hi there
    Papatek never did bother to reply so don't bother ever doing business with them.
    After wasting a couple of days waiting I found an AUOptronics screen in a laptop repair shop (non Apple) in Chiangmai.
    After a considerable search it seemd to be compatible. I took out the old screen and connected up.
    First time it lit wrongly. It's not supported says the guy. I undo and redo the video flat 20 pin cable. It works immediately.
    The only thing is the guy from the Apple shop who gave me a hand undoing insisted on taking the whole top case etc off so it was quite a job putting it all back together. An online guide says it's not necessary but I had found it very difficult to get the hinge cover off otherwise but it says it can be done.

Anyway

Happy to have exposed the greed of Apple and done it.
    Approx $350 in Thai baht is a great deal of money out here. (it used to be even worse apparently $750 in the US). A screen is available for about $65 and the job can be done if you have some ability.

Cheeryble

3. brdnboy macrumors regular

What type of screen (old one) was replaced with the AUO?

4. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

5. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

It was a Samsung
    I think the number was LTN133W1

The new one is an AUO B133EW01 V.0. There are 4 versions V.0 to V.3 I think they all work but V.4 has a 30 pin ribbon instead of 20 pin which you need. Don't quote me.
    The job would be a whole lot easier if the hinge cover could be removed without taking off the top cover and the Apple guy also undid the main hinges which is where the wiring can get messed up. Apparently it's possible to not remove cover. I'd like to see a photo sequence of it being done. If you're going to do the job check this out you will reduce the job enormously and make it much easier. I was being very careful not to break it but hey maybe it bends a lot.
    A magnet may fall out as you work. It sits neatly into the plastic lid held in by the screen's metal surround left side as you look at it. It has a little step each end which fits in the frame facing inwards. If you don't position that right your macbook won't go to sleep. Why they didn't put a dab of glue I cannot imagine.
    The whole layout struck me as in some ways rather primitive for example there is no click when you make the 20 pin connection you must stick tape across it and hope for the best, and there's all sorts of opportunity to pinch the wiring.
    I think the same spec screen is used on Toshibas and maybe other notebooks.

good luck
    Cheeryble