Replacing Screen on iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by John876, Jul 8, 2008.

1. John876 macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 (the 14 inch) with some screen issues, but all of the internal components work well. Looking around eBay I can find iBooks with working screens but non-working internal components. Is there any way I could buy one of those and then switch the parts to make a functioning iBook? I have a small amount of technical knowledge and no tools other than standard screwdrivers. Is this possible for me to do? Know of any tutorials, etc.?

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

Coming from experience, I've replaced a few MacBook screens and seriously it's not worth it. Something will go wrong and the sheer effort is way brutal. If you don't care about the machine and don't mind that you're casing may not look the same ever again, then by all means do it cause you can say you've replaced an LCD before. Google ibook LCD replacements and they'll have some guides for you. Good luck and if you have any specific questions when the thing is open, let me know.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

Take a look here: www.ifixit.com

I'm not sure I would buy a non working iBook from someone on eBay unless you could get if for a ridiculous low price. The problem with non working machines (just to cannibalize the screen) is that you really don't know what the condition of the screen was before the machine went down. You only have the word of the seller. :(

A new screen for your iBook varies in price. You can get an idea of what they cost from the same site as above:

http://www.ifixit.com/Products/G4-14-Inch-iBook-1-GHZ-256-RAM-Displays/10/51

Lots of folks have successfully swapped out a screen. You just have to be careful and follow instructions.

Regards.

4. papatekusa macrumors newbie

This website has lots of loptop accessaries:http://www.sunvalleyus.com/