Replacing Series 2 Case with Series 3 components

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seatton, Oct 12, 2017.

1. seatton macrumors 6502a

seatton

I have seen some cheap Apple Watch Edition (Ceramic) ones on eBay. I am wondering if it is possible to swap the internal parts with the Series 3. Has anyone tried doing this? I have a SS Series 3 and I always love the look of Ceramic. I am not ready to pay 1,300 bucks for a watch that main features are still missing yet (sleep tracking, always on display, etc).

Just a silly idea, but you know once in a while I try to think outside of the box :D

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

3. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

SoN1NjA

No, because the Series 3 is thicker, and its internals are not in the same order. I could be wrong, but I imagine you couldn't

Also, you'd lose your water resistance!

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Doubtful. I would say your chances are extremely unlikely of successfully swapping the internal parts. According to ifixit Replacing any of the component cables requires micro soldering and The mostly resin-encased S3 system makes most board-level repairs near impossible.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Series+3+Teardown/97521

5. seatton thread starter macrumors 6502a

seatton

Thank you for all of your useful responses. I think Apple would have thought this through too so people would not just buy a Ceramic Series for a couple hundred bucks from eBay and replace the components they get from an aluminum Series 3 version.