Replacing SR MBP's Keyboard with Penryn MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Knolly, May 7, 2008.

1. Knolly macrumors 6502a

I really want the functionality of the iTunes controls and such but don't exactly think it's worth a new computer... If I replaced my computer's keyboard with a newer one would it work? Or would some firmware hackery have to occur as well?

2. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

That is a good questions.. I'd guess that it all depends where the keyboard firmware is stored... on the logic board or on the keyboard itself...

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

all current mbps are still Santa Rosa

you mean meron vs penryn

and dont forget the penryn MBPs use a different system firmware, could be because of the multitouch, or the different keyboard

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Looking at my spare, the Keyboard itself doesn't have any circuitry (besides the backlight). it seems everything is on the back of the touchpad... maybe that's where the firmware is?

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm... I'd love to know.
    Where do people get the idea from that the Meron and Penryn uses a different chipset? Seriously where?

6. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I believe it's the keyboard itself...

When I replaced my keyboard on my MacBook, I had to order a pre-SR one because they had no SR ones. The pre-SR worked fine, and the iTunes function keys at the top didn't work (cause they weren't there!).

And I'm sure it's no different on a MacBook Pro. ;)

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

im guessing they dont realize santa rosa is the chipset, not the CPU

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's been asked before and no you can't do it.

9. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I dont think that people do believe that Penryn uses a different chipset. I think that people are just so used to calling last gen MBP's Santa Rosa's so its just a habit. Afterall, before penryn came out, a large percent of people just referred to last gen's MBP as "Santa Rosa MBP" instead of "Merom MBP" so it really is just a habit.

10. alecxx macrumors newbie

yes the evolution is usually defined as following:

cduo-c2duo-Sr-Penryn...

this is not 100% if we're talking about cpu's...

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

penryn is just used to differentiate the latest generation from the 3rd.

i think you may need new top case with the "penryn" keyboard. That contains the controller for both keyboard and trackpad.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You misses the Napa chipset before D2D and after the CD

13. alecxx macrumors newbie

:) right!

14. alecxx macrumors newbie

as far as i know trackad signal conn. it's different from the older ones...
    so keyboard (?) and trackpad should be changed....

15. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How does Synergy help with using a different keyboard that's connected to the same computer?

17. XStylus macrumors newbie

Sorry to necropost, but has anyone managed to come up with an answer to whether older generation MacBookPro3,1 keyboards will work happily in the MacBookPro4,1?

18. wildatheart macrumors member

wildatheart

To answer the question in the topic of this thread; you need a Penryn top casing; the new functionality is contained in the circuit board under the trackpad. this will give you the Penryn function keys (incl iTunes keys etc), as well as a multitouch trackpad. I have installed the Penryn casing on my Santa Rosa machine, and I am really loving the iTunes keys (and quite liking the multitouch). You don't actually need a new keyboard; the old one will start to 'act like' a Penryn keyboard straight away, but of course, the symbols on the function keys no longer match. I got hold of some Penryn function keys to replace my Santa Rosa ones, and swapped them around on my original keyboard.

19. DonatoS macrumors newbie

Question about replacing SR MBP's Keyboard with Penryn MBP's Top Case

Hi,

Just out of my curiosity...do you think it would work to me the MultiTouch if I replace the top case of my 15" MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa with the top case of a Penryn 2.4/2.6?

Actually, I found on eBay an auction for a MBP's top case 15" (2.4/2.6 Ghz PENRYN/Multitouch Model A1260), and I'm wondering if swapping the top case it will easy enable the multi-touch ability in my Santa Rosa (and compatibility with the right side connection ports: Video out, Ethernet, FireW 800, FireW 400 and USB, as well).

I'm not concerning about changing the keyboard keys layout as I'm afraid rather about fitting the case and cable connections with the rest of my MBP.

Any advice about it will very appreciate.

Regards,
    Donato