Replacing SSD in 2012 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by oldtime, Jan 10, 2018.

1. oldtime macrumors 6502

Is there a full list of SSDs somewhere that are compatible with this laptop? I know of some of the more popular options people go with (OWC, Samsung 850 EVO, etc) but I basically just need something to hold me over until the new MBPs are released (current SSD needs to be replaced pronto) so I'm more interested in bang-for-buck than overall performance/long lasting reliability. Hardware isn't my forte, so trying to figure out which drive and adapter to buy is a little daunting.

Bonus Q: I would also like to take a stab at repairing my 5s. Is there a decent tool kit out there that includes the necessary tools to allow me to open up/work on both the MBA and the 5s, or am I better off just buying what I need individually?

2. kohlson macrumors 65816

2012 MBAs are a step in Apple's proprietary (and increasingly faster) SSD interfaces. OWC sells SSDs that will plug-and-play. Years ago I purchased a 480GB to put in a 2012 MBA and it's worked great since. Otherwise, you'll need an adapter to enable an off-the-shelf SSD to plug into your MBA's logic board.

3. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

Bonus Answer = iFixit - see link

4. oldtime, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018

oldtime thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the link. Would their "Do Everything Kit" have everything I need (https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit/IF145-348-2)?

The last time I opened up a computer to do repairs was a 1st gen CD MacBook, and it seemed a lot simpler then.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2018 ---
    OWCs are pretty expensive and have very mixed reviews. I'd rather just get a drive with an adapter, it's just finding out which ones would be compatible is a bit tough.

Ideally I'd spend <$120 on the tools, ~256 SSD, and adapter. Anything more than that would feel like a waste because I'm only going to be keeping this laptop for another 8-10 months max.

5. kohlson macrumors 65816

Do a search on ebay for an adapter for 2012 MBA SSD. Work backwards from there, as to which SSD will work. You want the equivalent to a Samsung mz-epc2560/0a2, which is similar to an M.2 form factor. Best of luck.

6. oldtime thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, found a WD drive that's about $20 cheaper than the 850 evo m.2 Samsung drive. I think I'll give it a go and hopefully it'll spring new life into my MBA. Fingers crossed.

7. mikzn macrumors 6502a

mikzn

8. oldtime thread starter macrumors 6502

Thankfully my 5s is just a brick at the moment so I'm not too worried about doing any more damage to it by opening it up to fiddle around. If I get lucky maybe I can bring it back to life.