Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertcoogan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Joshua Tree, California
I have bought a refurbished MBP with retina display, and want to replace the SSD with a conventional HD (I have had bad luck with SSD and want to avoid them until the technology manages not to die on me long before a conventional HD does).

Does a MBP with a stock SSD have the same connections as a SATA HD? I am assuming it will accept a 2.5 size-wise.

:confused:

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I have bought a refurbished MBP with retina display, and want to replace the SSD with a conventional HD (I have had bad luck with SSD and want to avoid them until the technology manages not to die on me long before a conventional HD does).

Does a MBP with a stock SSD have the same connections as a SATA HD? I am assuming it will accept a 2.5 size-wise.

Buddy, the ssd in that Mbp you're holding is rock solid. Save yourself the money, pain and drama and worry about something else. Trust me, just run a time machine backup on your home network to remove any data loss concerns.

Good luck and take care.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

You can't. The mid-2012 and early-2013 use a blade SATA (possibly m-SATA) based SSD. The blades are way smaller than the 2.5" drives.

The late-2013 ones use a blade PCIe SSD.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009

:confused: (confusion)

You probably should have done just a small bit of research before you went and bought your Mac.

To answer your question, no, the SSD cannot be swapped with an HDD.

And FYI, SSD technology is quite mature, and your data is statistically much safer than residing on a traditional HDD. I don't want to sound rude, but you might need to brush up on your tech literacy.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Replies 2 and 3 above pretty much say it all, but...

... if you're worried about the long-term integrity of the built-in SSD, either buy or put together an external backup drive, and use CarbonCopyCloner to maintain a bootable clone of the internal drive.

SSD's are by-and-large reliable, but when they -do- fail, they do so catastrophically and often without any warning signs at all. I understand that data recovery on a failed SSD is much more problematical than on an HDD with "platters".

For this reason, the backup will provide the insulation you need to calm your fears.

I suggest that you buy an external enclosure and a "bare drive" and assemble it yourself. Most require only a small screwdriver. Some don't have screws - just snap together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.