Replacing Stock RAM - iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MikeIsGood, Mar 19, 2008.

1. MikeIsGood macrumors newbie

Hey everybody. I tried a couple searches and didn't find quite the information tailored to what I was looking for. I apologize if this is an oft-rehashed topic.

A little back story. I'm soon to be new to the mac world. I've been wanting to switch for awhile and I'm finally making the move. I'm planning to buy the 2.4 Ghz iMac with 20" screen. I was originally going to upgrade the memory to 2GBs to help speed everything up (I enjoy graphics and gaming, as well as a fast and efficient computer in general), but while doing "research" on the internet at this site and others like it, it quickly came to my attention that I could upgrade much cheaper - or, in my case, be able to upgrade further for close to the same price - if I didn't buy straight from Apple. I am one to be nervous, though, and I am concerned about the quality and compatibility of what I am buying. I definitely do not want it to backfire.

Onto the questions. Do you believe it is the best thing to do to upgrade the memory post-iMac purchase? If so, what is the best recommended memory? I am hoping at this point to upgrade to 4GB after looking at the prices relative to what it would cost to upgrade to 2 through Apple. I've read a couple of horror stories, and that is why I wanted to come talk to people who know what they're talking about.

From what I found, this Crucial site seemed to be very reliable as far as Mac memory goes. Do any of you have experience with installing the following onto an iMac, or have you heard of success stories? Link To Memory. I'm not itching to save every penny and move down to something that might be $20 cheaper if it won't be as high of quality. I greatly appreciate any suggestions and advice you may be able to offer me, in hopes that it would calm my nerves about fiddling with what otherwise would be a brand-new, expensive device!

I really appreciate any help you can offer. Sorry for being long winded. Thanks :apple:

2. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Third party memory is probably the best bang for the buck upgrade available, and memory right now is very affordable. You are right in wanting to stay away from cheap memory. The big contenders on this site are Crucial, OWC, Newegg and one or two others that I can't think of offhand.
    I went with 4GB of Crucial. Big difference. FWIW, OWC is just as good and a few dollars cheaper. Crucial has sales tax, but free shipping and quick delivery.
    Replacing memory in an Al iMac is easy, but do take precautions. Make sure you have the right screwdriver, the smaller headed Phillips. When handling the memory, do not allow any static to build up. Don't shuffle your feet, don't do it on a carpeted floor. Firmly unscrew the screw to the memory access, as in DO NOT strip out the head of the screw. When seating the new memory make sure it is all the way into the socket. So once you've pushed it all the way in, push it harder to make sure.
    There are several videos of this procedure on YouTube, simply search the site.
    Congrats on the new purchase, and if in doubt there are some very good tutorials (both text and video) on Apple's web site.
    Morod

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I went for 2x2GB sticks of very reasonably priced no-name Taiwanese RAM (sold under the name UMAX here in Japan) and it has worked with nary a single issue for the past 2 months in my 24" aluminum iMac.

I'm very glad I boosted to the max 4GB. It has improved performance greatly especially when running Windows Vista in VMware Fusion.

4. MikeIsGood thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the bump, but I wanted to thank you two. I got my new mac today and I'm loving every second being on it. I'll be ordering my relacement RAM tomorrow now with confidence.

I know where to come if I need help in the future. Thanks!