Replacing SuperDrive with HD/SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by B.LI, Sep 25, 2011.

1. B.LI macrumors regular

2. robots3humans0 macrumors 6502

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Yes MCE stuff is massively overpriced.
    There is no significant difference between their stuff and some ebay caddy. It is nothing but a piece of metal with a passive adapter. It is less complicated to make than a USB cable and they ask 99$.
    The ebay stuff costs a fraction and about half of the ebay price is probably just the shipping. That stuff costs less than a $1 to make.

4. pazz macrumors regular

Please search the forum, tons of info on this including one dedicated to the cheap alternatives to the MCE variant.

5. wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

I got one of the Fenvi caddy's from an eBay seller named Segoo. I paid about $20 for it and it works perfectly fine. My only gripe with it is that it doesnt have the mounting screws to hold it in place inside the laptop, but I'm not too bothered because when its installed, its a pretty tight fit. That and the fact that it hold my SSD drive, so even if it were to rattle around ever so slightly, the SSD drive wont suffer.

Its recommended to keep the HDD in its primary bay anyway, I've been told it has some kind of anti-shock mechanism.

Anyway, the MCE stuff is a ripoff.