Replacing the 13" MBP as a desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mlts22, Mar 23, 2016.

1. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Last year, my main desktop got killed by a power surge (UPS did as well), so I re-purposed my 13" 2015 MBP as a desktop. It functions OK, but the fan is quite noticable.

Time for a "real" desktop. A 21", 4K iMac is nice, but takes up a lot of space. I'm trying to decide between one of those, or a 15" MBP, i7, 16GB for the desktop.

Any suggestions of what way to go, and if the 15" MBP would have as loud fans as the 13" when running full tilt (I usually am running a Windows VM, perhaps firing up a game or so on occasion.)

I have thought of the Mac Mini, but it essentially has the same CPU and configuration as my 13" MBP, so I'd expect the same noise issues from fans with it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

The 15 inch will be louder when under load but will be under load less because of the better components. Without knowing your exact usage i can't tell how that will pan out for you.

A Mac mini is very quiet different form factor keeps the noise down much better than in a laptop.

If it was me I'd go with the iMac.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I dock my 13" MBP to a keyboard and monitor and I don't ever seem to notice the fans. Probably has to do with my not using it for gaming under Windows.