Replacing the battery & SSD of the older Air

AMSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Seeing posts about the easier replaceability of the rMBA batteries, I wanted to ask the same about the MBA2017.
-Can the battery on the 2017 air be replaced without removing/replacing the keyboard and trackpad?
-How about the SSD?
Is it possible to upgrade the 128 GB SSD to a higher one after a few years of use?
Or will the entire logic board need to be replaced?
Thanks!

MacManiac76

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
White Mntns, Arizona
Both the battery and SSD are user replaceable on the 2017 model. You just need to remove the bottom cover to access them. You can check out iFixit to see tutorials on the process for each. Aftermarket SSDs will require a Sintech adapter as the stock SSD has a proprietary connector.

AMSOS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Both the battery and SSD are user replaceable on the 2017 model. You just need to remove the bottom cover to access them. You can check out iFixit to see tutorials on the process for each. Aftermarket SSDs will require a Sintech adapter as the stock SSD has a proprietary connector.
Thanks. That's interesting because I was recently told that replacing the battery on my early 2015 MBP 13" will require replacing the keyboard and trackpad.
So, I am a little surprised that the older Air being still more slimmer allows you to make these replacements easily.
Btw, while the battery is still replacing on the rMBA, I am hearing that the SSD is soldered and cannot be replaced?

Audit13

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks. That's interesting because I was recently told that replacing the battery on my early 2015 MBP 13" will require replacing the keyboard and trackpad.
So, I am a little surprised that the older Air being still more slimmer allows you to make these replacements easily.
Btw, while the battery is still replacing on the rMBA, I am hearing that the SSD is soldered and cannot be replaced?
The retina MacBook Pro has the battery glued in place.

The rMBA has the SSD soldered in place.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Retina+2018+Teardown/115201