Replacing the bottom cover

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by c.dub, Jun 22, 2009.

1. c.dub macrumors member

My girlfriend's MacBook has some deep scratches on the bottom that a polish kit would not fix. I wanted to buy a new bottom cover and replace it for her. I have found quite a few on eBay, but I am not sure on which model will fit.

She has the new white NVIDIA MacBook. I assume that because the motherboard is different, would she need a case specific for the NVIDIA model, or will an older Core 2 Duo case work all the same?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

Hey there,

Sorry to hear that you have some scratches on your MacBook, here's someting you can try:

Now, I'm not too sure about the NVIDIA vs. Intel Graphics cases, but I do know this:

Apple will replace the bottom cover and keyboard plate due to design faults with the MacBook design. For instance, they will replace the bottom case if it starts to show any cracks due to the heat of the MacBook (The cracks can usually be seen around the fan vent). I have had my bottom case repaired due to this problem. An example can be seen here, here and here.

So if you see any of those heat cracks on your MB, take it into the Apple Store and get it replaced! It beats having to replace the casing yourself, and voiding your warranty while doing so.

Hope that helps you out somewhat.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah. I don't think it's worth swapping out your logic board to put into a new body and it isn't the easiest task either. You risk damaging something and voiding your warranty and if that does happen, you're out of a computer and for what, a scratches on the bottom of the case?