Replacing the glass MBP Late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yellowplum, Aug 12, 2012.

1. yellowplum macrumors newbie

Just picked up my MBP only to find that the glass is cracked, not sure how. I think something got trapped when I closed the lid, no visible damage on the outer case.

I have been looking around to replace the glass, ebay lists a great deal of sellers offering replacement glass. I just wanted to know if anyone has bought anything like this and was it glass, some people call it plastic.

How can you tell what you end up with from a seller?

2. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

3. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

As if I am going to pay for an entire new top at £403. What a ridiculous comment to make.

----------

Had a look, relatively simple to remove, just want to make sure I get the right one.

Will also see if the insurance company will cover it, then I am happy to take it to an Apple store :p

4. PS65 macrumors 6502

Well then take the risk and (highly likely) destroy your screen. The glass isn't designed to be removed for repair, hence why Apple replace the whole top part. If you come to a forum asking about it, chances are you're not able to carry this out.

5. yellowplum thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't ask about it, I asked how you can tell an original OE part compared to something that a copy factory is making that isn't OE.

6. PS65 macrumors 6502

It's probably a cheap alternative.

7. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

have fun doing it yourself then