Replacing the glass - MBP Mid 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maninthebox, Mar 24, 2015.

1. maninthebox macrumors newbie

Dear Macrumors Community,

Earlier today, I accidentally scratched my not so long ago purchased Macbook's screen. The scratch, although pretty deep, is about an inch long and located on the edge of the screen (so it's not on the actual display - it's on the black area). The display itself remained undamaged. It is just the glass cover that is broken/scratched. However, I would like to have it fixed by having the glass glass replaced if possible.

My question is the following - am I likely to get the Genius Bar to fix it without having to pay for replacing the whole screen? I am aware that it's accidental damage and my extended warranty does not cover it. I do not want to attempt replacing the glass myself. Alternatively, should I go to some shops providing such services? Would that forfeit my warranty?
    I have no experience in fixing Apple hardware and need advice. Unfortunately, I visited my local Apple Store earlier today and they do not have any appointment slots in the near future. I want to get some ideas, I don't want to be hung up on it just waiting for the appointment for God knows how long. It is quite upsetting.
    I would be very grateful to hear some suggestions.
    Reason I'm posting this is because there is very little info out there. I would feel way better knowing more or less where I stand.

It's a Macbook Pro 13 inch Retina Mid 2014.
    Thanks.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Apple ....

....will charge you a fortune to replace the whole lid.

If you use an authorised apple technician your warranty remains intact if not then it won't but if they don't know it won't hurt them.

They may have to replace the whole screen though if I remember rightly the LCD is bonded to the glass (one of the reasons it looks so awesome) so it still won't be cheap.

Looking at this shows that may not even be an option....

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+Retina+Display+Teardown/9493

3. maninthebox thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks for responding.

So, what you're saying is either way, if I want to fix it it will be expensive because it is not possible to have just the glass replaced. Is that correct?

Now, I am wondering - since I have the extended guarantee, perhaps they would offer me some discount for replacing the whole assembly? Any chance of that happening? Common sense suggests I'm entitled to nothing in this matter.

I have an appointment with the Genius Bar next week. Hope that clears things up. After giving it some thought, I think I'm willing to pay for it. Do you have any knowledge as to how much it may cost? Or is it something assessed individually?

Thank you.

4. vetman35 macrumors member

It's a battle wound and your MacBook will have more character. Don't get too hung up on it. It could be much worse.

Applecare has been amazing at taking care of things I never thought they would cover for free. A scratch off to the side is probably not one I would ask for a mulligan on.

5. maninthebox thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried thinking like you suggested. It will most probably blow over, eventually. I want to check my options first thought. If it's not too expensive, I think I will go ahead with fixing it.

I've decided to take it to my local authorised Apple service provider. Maybe they will be able to quote a price.

Thanks for your advice anyways. At the end of the day, I should be able to learn to live with it:rolleyes: