Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fowler.

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Pasadena
I bought a used 500 gig lacie drive a while back. It's the big enclosure.

Well, it died and I finally bought a new hd for it.

I don't have it in hand quite yet, but decided to disassemble the enclosure to get it ready.

To my surprise, there are 2 250 gig drives in there. Like, had no idea it would be set up like that.

So, my question is, can I remove both and drop the 500 in there and have it work perfect?

I've been toying around with the enclosure, trying to only use 1 drive at a time and it's not really working... at all. ha ha. I mean, the real test comes when the actual drive shows up... but at this point, I'm really doubting it's going to work.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Sounds as if the disk control is broken - seems unlikely that both drives would die at the same time. So when you get your new drive it still won't work.

Can you not try the old disks in another enclosure or PC or something....

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I bought a used 500 gig lacie drive a while back. It's the big enclosure.

Well, it died and I finally bought a new hd for it.

I don't have it in hand quite yet, but decided to disassemble the enclosure to get it ready.

To my surprise, there are 2 250 gig drives in there. Like, had no idea it would be set up like that.

So, my question is, can I remove both and drop the 500 in there and have it work perfect?

I've been toying around with the enclosure, trying to only use 1 drive at a time and it's not really working... at all. ha ha. I mean, the real test comes when the actual drive shows up... but at this point, I'm really doubting it's going to work.
The drives in the lacie are RAID 0, so the data is split between the drives. If one drives go, all data is lost, and you are dead in the water.

To test this, reformat the drives, and see if you can access them as individual drives (JBOD). This will tell you which drive is dead. If neither work, then the controller becomes suspect.
Sounds as if the disk control is broken - seems unlikely that both drives would die at the same time. So when you get your new drive it still won't work.

Can you not try the old disks in another enclosure or PC or something....
It may not be both drives, but rather a single drive died. Nothing can be read, as half of the stripes are unavailable. The controller may be OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.