Replacing the iPhone 6 Plus Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janeauburn, Nov 22, 2015.

1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Has anyone replaced the iPhone 6 Plus battery? I'm interested in hearing how best to do it. Send it to Apple? Buy a kit online?

Any tips, tricks, or gotchas would be appreciated.

Also, I'm approaching one year with my iPhone 6 Plus (I love the phone, better than the 6s Plus, which I've tried for a few days) and I'm assuming the battery should be replaced after one year because it does seem to run down faster. Am I right?

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

There are apps that tell you the remaining capacity of your battery. If it does need replacing, I would only trust Apple to do it. Beware of mall kiosks that are selling batteries that are rated higher than Apple's original battery and they are not telling you the truth.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

It's unlikely that the battery is that worn. If you think it is, take it to Apple and have it tested before you do anything; if it's lost a significant amount of capacity, Apple will replace it under warranty.
    3rd party batteries in iPhones are often of dubious quality, so getting a replacement from Apple is likely to give you a better quality battery, but again, you probably haven't lost much capacity in your existing one.

4. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Really? Which app? Can you recommend one?

5. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

That's great to know! I have an Apple store close by. Do you think they will replace the battery there or send it out (keep it a few days)?

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The answer varies, but it probably won't be sent out. Start by checking with Apple.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you have a Mac, you can download Coconut battery for free, and plug your phone into your mac. Open coconut battery and iOS Device. You should be able to find your battery health info there.

I use Battery Doc (paid app) and that works well for me too.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

It doesn't hurt to ask genius what options you have. If you want to keep your original and just have them replace the battery only then they will likely send it in. Or they might just give you a replacement unit.

9. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I definitely don't want a replacement unit. The one I has is so super smooth. The home button, for example, is butter smooth...not the clicky cheapness I have felt on every other "6" version I've tried.

10. janeauburn thread starter macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

I don't do Mac computers. Hate them. Funny how they're touted as being so intuitive. I find them aggravating as hell...hiding all the file system stuff from the user. Yuck.

11. dmx macrumors 6502

Try iBackupbot. There's a version for Windows as well. I believe the section to check battery health is under "More Info".

12. ocabj macrumors 6502a

ocabj

Applications -> Utilties -> Terminal. You can get to everything.