Replacing the Optical Drive (G5)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by forcefieldkid, Jan 25, 2010.

1. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

The one in the G5 at the minute has not been working for some time, though it accepts the Install discs and Retail DVDs, but there you go.

If I buy this...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AD-724...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264432766&sr=8-1

Will it install in the G5 and work? Doesn't seem to say anything about compatibility on the product page so I'm hoping someone here will know :)

If not, any advice on what a good replacement drive would be? Not looking for anything special really just one that will accept discs!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

That drive is SATA. You need one with an IDE interface. Which is also referred to by different speeds as ATA - 33/66/100/133. There are probably other speeds of ATA but those are the ones I know of.

Almost any drive is compatible including Lightscribe models if you download the Lightscribe driver. If you want to check a specific drive model use the database at Accelerate Your Mac. Though after some checking it doesn't seem as though the database is too active anymore.

You should also not you may have to remove the drives faceplate to fit on some Macs. The is also the plate attached to the tray itself which can sometimes catch on the Macs drive door so that is something you should remove.

3. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Would like to do a straight replacement, without getting into downloading drivers and such.

Any recommended drives? Found an IDE model for a good price but it says its for windows. Seems really complicated for what should be a pretty simple thing to do1

4. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

5. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

6. forcefieldkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks yeah, I stumbled across that site on Google and checked the model above, should work fine. Thanks for the help :)