Replacing the optical drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jtgooch, May 14, 2015.

1. jtgooch macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I could use some advice.

I own a late 2011 15 inch macbook pro. I previously swapped out the harddrive for a 512 ssd. I am currently looking at swapping out the optical drive for a hdd, and am confident that I can do it. My question though is what is the maximum size hdd that I could fit into the bay (and i mean gb size not physical size). The problem that I am having is that my photo library has grown far to large to store in my current ssd, but I would like to have it hand at all times.

With this said, would there be any benefit to getting a fusion drive? I assume I am better off with a hdd rather than a ssd simply because it will provide more space for library.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- No maximum. Unless the mounting bracket you're using has some sort of weird technical limitation on its SATA interface, but I doubt that very much.

3. jtgooch thread starter macrumors newbie

Followup question

Thanks JTToft for you prompt reply. I plan on using this bay. But my concern is that on that site it has a reference to a 750gb limit. Though I can't figure out why it would have that limit.

I am considering either this drive or this drive.

Do you think there is an advantage for a fusion drive if I use it solely for my photo library (all raw photos with lightroom).

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I really don't know what the reason behind that limitation would be, either. If you want to make sure it will work, get OWC's Data Doubler instead.
    You should also be aware of some potential reliability problems with running SATA III drives in the optical bay of 2011 machines. Info is available on the bottom of the page above.

- As far as I can make out, there'd be no reason to use a fusion drive in the optical bay if you already have the SSD for files that require high speed. For just storage, a regular HDD will be fine and you'll be able to get a bigger one that way. And your photo library would most likely be larger than the flash portion of the fusion drive anyway, so any potential benefit will only be relevant for a very small portion of your files.

HGST is well-regarded.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK there is no maximum, unless there's something wonky with the SATA interface used.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

7. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Are you sure it's a SATA drive in there?

The Toshiba 1TBs I bought about 18 months ago have a USB connector soldered onto the interface board. No SATA.

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You have to get it out of the enclosure and the SATA connector will be there ;)

9. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You have to be very careful with which drive you pick if you do this. Many manufacturers are now cheaping out and soldering the USB connector onto the drive, which means no sata interface (and no data off the drive if the interface fails).