Replacing the original Apple SSD in a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mickmono, Jan 7, 2013.

1. mickmono macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!
    I've bought a rMBP 13 a few days ago but now I wanted to swap my SSD from the original Apple 256GB 1,8" SSD with an ordinary 2,5" SSD with more GigaByte. I know it's quite complicated so I hoped that someone would know how it works.

After doing a whole lot of research I figured that there's only 2 ways to do that:

1) Buy an "OWC" SSD with 480GB, because that's the only company that has rebuilt the Apple SSD for rMBP's so far & replace it with ease.

2) Try to find a cable which has a S/ATA connector (female) on one side and a rMBP Logicboard connector (male) on the other side. The 2,5" SSD would then be placed below the Trackpad, there's enough room if you remove the Apple 1,8" casing.

So here's the thing, I don't wanna throw my 2,5" SSD away (or sell it) that's why I'm trying to find that cable! My question is, do you know if that cable excists? I tried to find it everywhere!

Thank you for your help :apple:

2. KPOM macrumors G5

I don't think anyone has made that cable since the market is so small (just whoever has purchased rMBPs). Is the 2.5" SSD from a previous Mac? If so, I'd suggest getting a USB 3.0 enclosure if you want to keep using it. I've used an old SSD as a backup drive. With Thunderbolt or USB enclosures, it is lightning fast with something like Carbon Copy Cloner.