Replacing the "s" key 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Mar 18, 2012.

  1. Drecca, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

    Drecca macrumors regular

    Aug 30, 2010
    Hey guys,

    The "s" key is a little bit damaged. Part of the black paint on the top of the S is rubbed off, and the light is coming through it. You would think it's minor and not even worthy of a post.. until it happens to you and you just KNOW there's a problem and can't stop looking at it.

    Anyway, can the apple store or whatever replace the key? I've once tried to fix a keyboard on a HP laptop and failed horribly, so DIY.. not for me.
  2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030


    Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    Yes they can replace it for you.
    But since its just a key, I would do it myself. Its fairly easy.

    You can get parts online as well such as
  3. Mal macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2002
    If you're not interested in doing it yourself, don't. The Apple Store may not charge you for it, but even if they do, it'll be fairly cheap. It's not terribly difficult, but if you don't feel up to the task, don't risk messing it up. I do them on a daily basis, but I know many people who shouldn't try, so I understand your hesitance to do it yourself.

  4. camardelle macrumors 6502

    Aug 17, 2011
    I agree that if you don't feel up to it that you should have it done at Apple. I'd be willing that they wouldn't even charge for the repair just out of goodwill. Give it to the pro.

Share This Page