Replacing The Top Case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pauldredge, Jan 17, 2013.

1. pauldredge macrumors newbie

Hello,

Ive been searching for a new top case for my early 2009 macbook. Im having a struggle to find anywhere that sells them for a decent price.

Anyway ive found one that im thinking of buying but it has the ORANGE cable where as mine has the SILVER cable. I have looked online about this and people say that they are compatible as the connector is the same on them both. Which to me makes sense.

But thought id check with some gurus first before i purchased it and wasted my money.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Which one? Polycarbonate? Unibody? Ebay is probably your best bet.

3. pauldredge thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry its the A1181 polycarbonate.

Yeah am looking on ebay but just want to know if the ORANGE cable will work with my macbook even though mine currently has the SILVER cable.

Cheers

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Are you talking about the trackpad cable? Why not use the old one with the new case?

5. pauldredge thread starter macrumors newbie

The cable that connects everything on the top case to the motherboard.

Current silver cable is damaged as well as the top case.

The connectors are both the same on them.

6. sparkyms macrumors 65816

i don't think they are compatible as I tried doing the same thing from and the connector wouldn't fit to the logic board.

7. pauldredge thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you sure they don't as I've read on ifix that they both have exactly the same connectors that join the logic board.

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Which model do you actually have? Go to ifixit for your specific model and find out the exact part number you need.

9. sparkyms macrumors 65816

When I tried it definitely didn't fit. It was a core duo topcase and I was trying to fit it to a core 2 duo laptop.

Only tried as it was from a broken laptop but the topcase on the core duo was in a slightly better state. But I agree with pauldredge, only buy the exact part number you need.