Replacing the USB Dock Connector - How To?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by truz, May 13, 2009.

1. truz macrumors 6502a

truz

Anyone have a How To on replacing the iphone USB Dock Connector?

Apple will not warranty my iphone as the dock connector they stated looks like it was ripped out (leaving the copper pins behind) however each time you put in the USB charging cord you risk bending the prongs.

I have no idea how it happened. I have dropped the phone a few times (inside a case) the phone looks brand new without a scratch on it. I found a dock connector online for $29 and would rather give it a go on replacing it myself. Then paying Apple the $199 for a replacement if all else fails.

2. dj29152 macrumors newbie

i was hoping someone had an answer to the above problem.

I know it can be replaced, but does someone have a guide.

GIST ... Water fell in water ... RICE ... DAMPRID ... worked, but touch did not, opened it and connector 4 was apparently stuck to the top of the iphone, therefore i broke the connector when i pulled (suction cup) open the iphone. Now i have to replace the USB dock connector area.

IPHONE 3G
    Apple Part #: 821-0551-A

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you have to take the phone completely apart by removing the glass/lcd/frame, then remove the mother board, then you can remove the 3 screws holding in the dock assembly. (DO NOT JUST BUY THE DOCK CONNECTOR) make sure you get the entire assembly. $29 sounds a little high for just the part. I charge $40 for parts and labor so you could probably find someone in your area for about the same. but you have to be careful when doing this repair cause you can damage the mother board real easy if you dont know what you are doing. you can go to ifixit.com. they have several take apart guides with pics to help you out. they even sell parts. you can also search on youtube and see it done. you dont want to try this til you have a decent idea what needs to be done cause one false move and its over! also, make sure you power your phone off before starting.

4. dj29152 macrumors newbie

Thanks alot chargit ... i have ordered a new assembly and lcd from ebay ... i should be getting them both in today. I will install them and let everyone on this forum know how it went.