Replacing the X1900

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ThirteenXIII, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

Curious to those who have to had replace their X1900XT Cards in their MacPro , had a few questions.

1) Does replacing/removing the card void and warranty? (im getting a new Version2 form Applecare) So id assume no but no real idea if so.

2) Best tools or precautions to use with removing this beast from within?
    Recommend screw drive to not strip the screws or anything as it seems a slim fit inside the the end of the case and where the two screws holding it in are.

3) Im assuming Version 2 is automatically updated with the firmware? anyone experience issues with the replacement card?

Thanks guys!!!

:)

2. Sherb macrumors member

1) Replacing/Removing the card does not void the warranty.

2) Only precaution is to pull straight :D Not sure about the screw driver, I would have to see the screw. If you really want to be safe you can use a static strap, but i personally don't think it's needed to pull a graphics card. Just touch the case and ground yourself.

3) Not sure about number 3.

3. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

the screws are the two pieces holding the pci slots in.

im assuming a Phillips #1 / Basic sized screw driver will work just fine?

thanks for the input!

4. matt321 macrumors member

Yup. A regular phillips will work. Don't forget about the PCI - Express tab! If you try to pull the card out and don't push the tab down (towards the memory) it will break. Hard to get at but look at a free slot and see what I mean.

5. Rankrotten macrumors 6502

Rankrotten

After cleaning out my x1900 I broke the tab on the Mac Pro's PCI Express slot but it still works ok with the card inserted. :rolleyes:

6. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, be very careful about the tab! It's a pain to get to because of the oversized heatsink. The slot and computer will still work even if you break it off, but it sits more stably if you keep the tab intact.

7. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Yes I second the caution on the tab as I did not realise it was there and broke mine :(

No the end of the world as the card is still pretty secure in the slot and works fine.

8. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks again for the heads up!!

im curious about placing it back in with the PCIe tab...do i still need to push it down when inserting the replacement?

im extra cautious as when ive done PC swapping and all that it wasnt as tideous but i did happen to break some stuff (PCI tabs, memory slot tabs ugh! lol)

thanks!

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

It won't hurt if you do...

10. ThirteenXIII thread starter macrumors 6502a

k, finally got my rev2 graphics card...so far so good.

alittle qieter than the previous card.

the card must have had bad cooling and one of the ram chips died off, not being able to pick up signal on bootup, but only upon restarts.

sofar i stress teste dit by connecting the monitors i have and others to see if its all good, so far so good.

thanks again for everyones advice!!