Replacing top case - compatibility?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by admdelta, Apr 9, 2012.

1. admdelta macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm replacing the top case on my mid-2007 MBP because the trackpad and keyboard have stopped working. I would just replace the cable, but the case has also suffered some serious cosmetic damage which now prevents the laptop from shutting properly, and just looks ugly. I don't have the cash to buy a new laptop anytime soon, and there's no way I'll make much selling an old laptop as damaged as this, so replace the cases it is!

Right so, I found some really good deals on used top cases on Powerbookmedic.com, with a year long warranty and everything. I can buy the one for the Santa Rosa (my model) for $99.95. However! They also have top cases for the previous Core 2 Duo models for $49.95.

Now I can't personally see any difference between the design of these two models. So would I be able to purchase the top case off the older model and save myself 50 bucks? Or are these two models incompatible with each other in some other way?

Thanks in advance!

2. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I haven't seen both of the cases, but just because they look the same on the outside doesn't mean they're the same on the inside. The internal design of the cases could be slightly different, but I'm not entirely certain. I might buy the powerbook case just to be safe

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I am in the exact same case as you so I am interested in this thread. However I doubt they are the same, otherwise they would not specify for which model it is...

4. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Can you provide a link to where you found them? Google is pulling up a blank on your store, the only thing it kicks back is an ebay store.

6. AppChat macrumors regular

7. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

9. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

The number coincides with the Santa Rosa, so I can say for certain that it is officially the one I'm supposed to get, but for all I know the specifications may be the same for all the cases. If that were to be the case I'd definitely want to save the $50 and get the "wrong" one. I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't be compatible, really. The laptop was the same size, had the same ports, and use the same connecting cable.

10. AppChat macrumors regular

11. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

When I say no monies, I mean very little. I can afford to spend maybe $250 tops right now.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I wouldn't risk it, personally. You can pick up a USB keyboard and mouse for $20 if money is an issue.

13. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have those and use it with them from time to time, but it's really just a hassle. I've decided that removing that hassle is worth the money. I can also afford to get the proper one, I just like to save. It's looking like everybody's recommending that one though, so I think I may be leaning in the direction of just buying the right one.