Replacing TV Shows with Podcasts

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ipedro, Sep 17, 2008.

1. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

While many of us are looking to iTunes for TV Shows that we've heard about or begun watching Over The Air (OTA) or Cable, people like myself who've been disconnected from cable for a year or more, live in a different realm. I don't watch cable or OTA so I'm not aware of TV shows being offered there.

For me, this Fall's new TV season consists of Podcasts. My TV lineup is not what is available OTA or on Cable. My TV lineup can be found in the Podcast section of iTunes.

Over the next little while, I'm going to begin compiling a lineup of TV shows that would satisfy a TV viewers' needs. Podcasts that meet the criteria will have good production value such as good quality video, professional editing, on screen graphics and entertaining content.

If you have some great podcasts that you'd like to add, please contribute to this thread.

Let's start with some categories:

News
    Anderson Cooper 360º
    Today
    ABC World News
    Current News

Politics
    Democracy Now

Sports
    Golf Tips w/ Joe Beck

Talk Show
    Larry King
    Diggnation

Comedy
    The Digg Reel

Cooking
    Stump The Chef

Travel
    City By City

Gaming
    Play Value

Gadgets & Tech
    Tekzilla
    Geekbrief.tv

General
    Mahalo Daily

Fiction
    Tiki Bar

Cartoons
    God & Devil
    Joe Cartoon

*I'll edit this first post to add notable Podcasts discussed in this thread.

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Excellent idea for a thread :)

I'd add the Democracy Now! podcast, if you like news that's not fit for headlines. (Or should be headlines, depending on your POV)

3. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

Gadgets & Tech
    GeekBrief.TV

General
    Mahalo Daily

4. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

Good ones :) List updated.

EDIT: Just found a great ABC world news podcast, purposely filmed for internet broadcast.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

You don't watch TV at all?

I don't see Podcasts as a good substitute for an actual TV show..

6. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Podcast could probably fill a certain segment of the TV market; the news, non-fiction type content. There's not really any good scripted content being podcasted at the moment, that I can find at least.

I for one enjoy zoning out a little and watching a good sitcom (30 Rock and The Office) or an exciting adventure like Lost and Heros. There's a lot that Podcasting can offer, but I think traditional TV programming still has a role. I do think that the deliverly method for those programms are changing/going to change, though. I get a large portion of my TV content via DVD sets (rented from Netflix). That's going to be the biggest swing, I think. Direct payment from and delivery to the viewer.

7. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

I'll occasionally switch to OTA to be "fed" TV, but most of the time, I like choosing what I want to watch. I can't stand the barrage of reality tv and celebrity snooping that has infiltrated TV programming in North America (I'm in Canada).

Nonetheless, I am a big Heroes fan and lately Flashpoint has really got me hooked. I either buy those shows on iTunes if they're available or download them on Bit Torrent (both are now available on iTunes).

There are some fiction entertainment podcasts out there. Tiki Bar comes to mind.

In the cartoon department, you'll find many...many...maaaany excellent podcasts that would easily replace your standard cartoon on TV today. God & Devil and Joe Cartoon are great examples of entertaining, full production, original cartoon content available free as a podcast.

8. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

Podcasts indeed lean towards niche shows. They mostly target a very specific audience. There are podcasts out there for every hobby and many specific interests. Podcasts can definitely replace cooking shows, travel guides, wildlife documentaries and tech tv shows.

This last one is the most predominant. You'll find countless tech shows. This is because putting up a podcast generally requires some technical knowledge so those who know how to set one up will usually talk make a podcast about their field of choice, most often tech.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of great podcasts out there. Check out ON Networks for some excellent programming, professionally produced in HD.

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

Original Content

Check this out. Amy Poehler (Saturday Night Live) is launching a tv show exclusively as a podcast, produced by ON Networks.

The podcast market is maturing. No doubt, this will become an important form of digital distribution in the near future.

We're beginning to see celebrities, made famous on traditional TV migrate to digital programming. I believe there are more celebrity hosted podcasts. Tom Green has a talk show.

It doesn't require much mental gymnastics to figure out that we're going to be seeing more professionally produced, TV grade content appearing via syndicated RSS feeds.

10. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68030

ipedro

11. dmm219 macrumors 6502

first of all, great idea for a post...

I used podcasts, mostly for my news. For actual TV shows, if I want really good quality, i'll buy them on itunes (it takes a lot of season passes to add up to any cable subscription for 1 year), or Boxee...which has been a savior for catching up on tv shows.

Here's some others I watch often:

News:
    NBC Nightly News (complete telecast, no commercials)
    Morning Joe (Morning roundtable, first 20 minutes or so...)
    Meet the Press (Entire telecast, no commericals)

If your so inclined, you can also get Countdown w/olberman and Rachel Maddow (complete shows)

For science, nerdy stuff (my fav):
    Discovery Channel podcast
    Dirty Jobs podcast
    Discovery Space Podcast

Now the best ofcourse, are the HD podcasts:
    CNET news podcast...keep up to date on technology...mostly around the san fran area
    Washington post podcast
    HD weekly wildlife postcasts <---these are EXCELLENT in HD...probably the highest quality podcast out there
    HD hidden Universe...tracks the Spitzer spacecraft
    Hubblecast...tracks hubble news
    And ofcrouse, both Tekzilla and System on Revision3