replacing US iphone in France

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Torrek, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Torrek macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, this is a long story but basically I am wondering if anyone knows anything about getting an iPhone replaced in a country other than the purchase country.

So a few months ago, I took my iPhone 4s to an Apple store because the back glass was making a clicking sound. It was hard to replicate the issue (especially in a noisy Apple store), and the genius helping me was skeptical. So he took it out back and many minutes later came back and said he was able to tighten it up a bit.

Fast forward to now, I am in France until the middle of August and a few days ago I noticed that the back glass was moving parallel to the phone back and forth by a few millimeters. That's when I noticed that the screws on the bottom are gone (!). I don't know if the genius at the US Apple store forgot to put the screws back in or tightened them and ended up breaking something and caused them to fall out. So I took it to the Apple store at opéra in Paris where I was told my iPhone was fake for two reasons: 1, there's blue tape tucked into the corners of the phone's interior (definitely from the US genius, because I bought the phone directly from Apple and have never opened it up) and because they had no screws that would fit the phone (but after I convinced him my phone was legit, he said it could be because European ones have different screws..?). Then he said he couldn't replace a US iPhone, so off I went.

Fast forward a few more days and the back cover is now barely staying on (still no screws) and now the sleep/wake button has stopped working. So basically, I REALLY need a replacement and have not returned yet to an Apple store here in Paris because I'm not sure what I should say to convince them to replace a US phone. The genius said it was not possible because of carrier-related issues, but I'm sure they could make it happen if they wanted to.

So now, I'm sort of stuck with a broken phone. Has anyone had experience with trying to get a phone replaced in another country? My next step is probably just making an appointment and telling them I'm not going to leave without a new phone haha.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're not obligated to repair your phone in the country other than that of purchase... it's in the terms and conditions of the warranty. Your best bet is to ask nicely.

3. Torrek thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, if it is technically possible, I should be able to eventually convince them.

Anyone know if it's a possibility? And that the carrier/satellite/international issues are faux?

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

5. Torrek thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, it's AT&T.