Replacing Water Damaged iPhone 5 with Deactivated Line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by awgonnerman, Jun 21, 2013.

1. awgonnerman macrumors newbie

My family is in the process of moving to Brazil. My wife's iPhone went with her to Brazil, and I deactivated the line (Sprint was the carrier) here in the U.S. months ago. Shortly after arriving in Brazil she got it water damaged, and it is now non-functional. Friends brought it back and I now need to see if I can get it replaced this weekend.

I understand that water damage is not covered under warranty or any other protections. My questions are the following:

1) Will I be able to pay something for a replacement phone, less than the full cost of a new phone?

2) Will the fact that the phone was acquired through Sprint but not active with them prevent me from obtaining a replacement?

Thanks.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You just gotta bring it to Apple and pay the $229 replacement fee.

4. awgonnerman thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm cool with paying the money. I just really need to know if it matters that the line hasn't been active on Sprint (or any carrier) for months.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, that doesn't matter.
    Apple doesn't care if the line on the phone is active or not.

6. awgonnerman thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a relief. Any idea if they'll give me another Sprint-locked iPhone, or an open device? I know Sprint is CDMA, but the phone has a SIM card and is GSM capable, of course. Just wondering what they'll give as a replacement in this case.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will get the same model, color, storage capacity and carrier locked device as the one you're handing in for replacement.