Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Replacing Water Damaged iPhone 5 with Deactivated Line

awgonnerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
My family is in the process of moving to Brazil. My wife's iPhone went with her to Brazil, and I deactivated the line (Sprint was the carrier) here in the U.S. months ago. Shortly after arriving in Brazil she got it water damaged, and it is now non-functional. Friends brought it back and I now need to see if I can get it replaced this weekend.

I understand that water damage is not covered under warranty or any other protections. My questions are the following:

1) Will I be able to pay something for a replacement phone, less than the full cost of a new phone?

2) Will the fact that the phone was acquired through Sprint but not active with them prevent me from obtaining a replacement?

Thanks.

awgonnerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Nope, that doesn't matter.
Apple doesn't care if the line on the phone is active or not.

That's a relief. Any idea if they'll give me another Sprint-locked iPhone, or an open device? I know Sprint is CDMA, but the phone has a SIM card and is GSM capable, of course. Just wondering what they'll give as a replacement in this case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's a relief. Any idea if they'll give me another Sprint-locked iPhone, or an open device? I know Sprint is CDMA, but the phone has a SIM card and is GSM capable, of course. Just wondering what they'll give as a replacement in this case.

You will get the same model, color, storage capacity and carrier locked device as the one you're handing in for replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.