Replacing Water Damaged iPhone 5 with Deactivated Line

awgonnerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
My family is in the process of moving to Brazil. My wife's iPhone went with her to Brazil, and I deactivated the line (Sprint was the carrier) here in the U.S. months ago. Shortly after arriving in Brazil she got it water damaged, and it is now non-functional. Friends brought it back and I now need to see if I can get it replaced this weekend.

I understand that water damage is not covered under warranty or any other protections. My questions are the following:

1) Will I be able to pay something for a replacement phone, less than the full cost of a new phone?

2) Will the fact that the phone was acquired through Sprint but not active with them prevent me from obtaining a replacement?

Thanks.

awgonnerman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Nope, that doesn't matter.
Apple doesn't care if the line on the phone is active or not.
That's a relief. Any idea if they'll give me another Sprint-locked iPhone, or an open device? I know Sprint is CDMA, but the phone has a SIM card and is GSM capable, of course. Just wondering what they'll give as a replacement in this case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's a relief. Any idea if they'll give me another Sprint-locked iPhone, or an open device? I know Sprint is CDMA, but the phone has a SIM card and is GSM capable, of course. Just wondering what they'll give as a replacement in this case.
You will get the same model, color, storage capacity and carrier locked device as the one you're handing in for replacement.