Replacing Water Damaged iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rsblue, Oct 16, 2009.

1. rsblue macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I made a big mistake and put my iPhone in the washing machine. Although I have tried many different strategies (placing it in rice for a week, etc.), it still will not work.

I'm hesitant to spend $599 on a new phone, so it seems that I have a couple of options.
    1) I could buy one off of Ebay.
    2) I have family members who are planning to join my family plan, but who do not want to get an iPhone. Would it be possible for them to get an ATT-subsidized phone and then pass it off to me without the added price of a data plan?
    3) I could use Apple's off-network program and get a refurbished phone for $199. My concern is that this phone would not be great quality.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to get a new phone? Has anyone experienced a similar situation. How did you deal with it?

Thanks!

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'd say your best bet is the refurbished route. Contrary to popular (and uninformed) belief, the refurbished units Apple gives out are usually of better quality than the new units because they go through a more rigorous QC check before being packaged and shipped.

Trust me. Every iPhone that I finally settled and was happy with was a refurb.