replacing your new iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by R6Seven, Jul 28, 2008.

1. R6Seven macrumors member

If you decide to replace your new iPhone (withint 14 days) due to whatever defects it may have, do they give you a refurbished iPhone 3G at the Apple store, or do they have a completely separate stock of NEW iPhone 3Gs just for the purpose of exchanges?

someone hurry! i'm going to the genius bar tomorrow at 9am

2. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

They may give you a new one at the store, or they may take your phone, and send you a refurb. I had to take my 1st gen in for repair on Thursday evening last year, and I had my refurb via FedEx Saturday morning.

That said, my refurb was actually new, as they didn't have any refurbished in stock at the time.

You might get lucky, as some stores will jsut give you a new one, if they have one in stock.

-jt2

3. richg916 macrumors regular

I had one replaced and I hope it wasnt a refurbished. It did come in a different box, but I couldn't see them having refurbished phones already.
    ?

4. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

i got a new phone... but it was in a white unmarked box. but it's clearly a new phone, without a doubt.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've had several replacement iPhones over the past year, and the first few were out of white boxes and looked to be brand new. While the last one was replaced in October was definitely a refurb, though it seemed to function better than all the others. I think there are quite a few brand new 3G's just like the v1 replacements, and it may be a few months before we actually see 3G refurbs. I wonder what the 3G refurb price will be, FREE?:D

6. drfluid macrumors newbie

i've got a replacement today and it was a brand new one. The Genius brought an iPhone box with shrink-wrap and opened it in front of me and started the swapping process.

7. dantay macrumors regular

dantay

If you get a phone thats not in original apple packaging i.e. a smaller brown or white box it can be a refurb or new phone. They tried to exchange my faulty phone for one in non-apple smaller brown box and I questioned them about the the replacement and asked if they could guarantee it was brand new. The guy said as the phones are so new its more than likely new but could be refurbished. I pushed the point and they gave me a complete new phone in original packaging. If you have bought a NEW product and its faulty within the 14 day return period the replacement should be NEW. :apple:

8. Legends20036 macrumors member

If you bought the phone from Apple and are within the 14 day return window they should be giving you a new phone in the original box and the genius bar should have their own stock of phones for this. Outside of the 14-day period then you would probably get one out of a 3rd party box as that is the normal exchange procedure.

9. R6Seven thread starter macrumors member

sweeeeeet

thanks all. i am checking this as i'm on my way to the store. i hope i get a new box as well. if i don't get a new one, you will all see on headlines tomorrow: "apple fanboy throws fit for getting white box"

10. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Good luck, let me know how it goes. I have an appointment tonight but mine is past 14 days. I wonder what I'll get. Are we supposed to take in the original box and plugs etc...?

11. drfluid macrumors newbie

If they are to give you the brand new one with original box, they'd give you everything except you didn't bring at the Genius bar.
    When I got mine exchanged I didn't bring the USB cable and adaptor and of course they took those out from the new box and handed me the rest.

12. R6Seven thread starter macrumors member

dudes, so guess what happened. i'm 2nd in line at the genius bar waiting for them to call my name and suddenly the entire mall starts SHAKING. yes i was only a couple miles away from the epicenter of today's Southern California earthquake.

so after going under the tables and waiting for the tremor to end, they made us walk out of the store. not surprisingly, the people waiting in line for the iphone 3g were not going anywhere. but anyways, they cancelled all appointments for the day and i'm now scheduled for thursday. ugh. so much for that.

13. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Sucks!!!! I'm sorry bro, but at least you guys are safe.

Here is my situation. I went tonight for my appointment for dead pixels and dust. exchanged for a new one, almost perfect except for a little light leak but who cares.

BUT, I forgot to ask for the new box, so I have a box with a different serial #.

AND, I didn't delete everything on the phone. I wonder if they'll try to go through my stuff before reformatting it???? crap, I hope there were no passwords or info they could retrieve from it.

14. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Apple told me I had 30 days to exchange my phone. I am considering upgrading to a 16GB, but I can't do that at the Apple Store because I bought mine at AT&T. Rather, I have to exchange it at ATT and order a 16GB from them even though the Apple Store already has one.