Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many of you guys are going to replace your notebook/pc for the iPad?

• Replacing notebook for iPad

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Replacing PC for iPad

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Buying one next to my notebook

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Buying one next to my PC

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • Buying one next to my PC & notebook

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters

Damian.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
How many of you guys are going to replace your notebook/pc for the iPad?
Notebook includes: netbooks and tablets.

I'm buying one next to my iMac.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm tending toward replacing my Touch with the iPad. If the iWorks suit works out it might also possibly replace my notebook, but I'll have to wait and see until it comes out to see if it can actually replace my notebook.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I too will be buying one to compliment my iMac and iPhone. However you really need a computer for the iPad to work as it should. It isn't really a stand alone device.

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
I will buy one to replace my iBook G4 next to my iMac... I am planning on completely switching from MS Office to iWork at the same time since iWork supports Microsoft documents... we'll see how that goes. :D:D:D

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I have two netbooks I never use because netbooks suck, so if I do end up getting an iPad I guess you would say it would replace those.

Damian.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
I too will be buying one to compliment my iMac and iPhone. However you really need a computer for the iPad to work as it should. It isn't really a stand alone device.

I know but some members here are talking about replacing their computer for the iPad. :confused:

Robin4

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
RTD-NC
I'll buy one to replace my G4. I don't need my computer as much as I did before.

Well, if I absolutely need a computer, I'll get one. This is going to be a tough year, I need to replace my iPhone too.

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
I know but some members here are talking about replacing their computer for the iPad. :confused:

Theoretically using iDisk and online services, you could use iPad as a stand alone device since you don't need to connect to a physical computer to get ressources on it (iTunes store, AppStore, iBookstore, general web etc...)...

Then again, you would have to litterally live in an Apple bubble...

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
I will buy one to replace my iBook G4 next to my iMac... I am planning on completely switching from MS Office to iWork at the same time since iWork supports Microsoft documents... we'll see how that goes. :D:D:D

Spooky, that's exactly what I intend to do. The wife will be getting a new MBP once the new ones are released sp she can ditch her ageing Toshiba laptop, and so the house will become Microsoft free, using iWorks will be a part of that.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain
Theoretically using iDisk and online services, you could use iPad as a stand alone device since you don't need to connect to a physical computer to get ressources on it (iTunes store, AppStore, iBookstore, general web etc...)...

Then again, you would have to litterally live in an Apple bubble...

Also, updating the OS of the iPad will more than likely only be possible using a PC, we can only base that on how it is now. You never know, they may find a way to implement updates direct to the device, then it truly can be a standalone device....just throwing that out there.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

I guess it is possible. I sometime can go for a month without docking my iPod Touch to my computer. But you wouldn't be able to get any updates. Also your data would not be backed up. I guess as I said before it wouldn't work as it should.

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Spooky, that's exactly what I intend to do. The wife will be getting a new MBP once the new ones are released sp she can ditch her ageing Toshiba laptop, and so the house will become Microsoft free, using iWorks will be a part of that.

This is totally an experiment... I am quite satisfied with MS Office so far... but I want to explore alternatives.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
The iPad will never replace my notebook. But, I can see it replacing my iPod Touch.

Mkallevik

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2007
I am buying an iPad, but I am not sure what I will have next to it. I have a Macbook Pro today, but I am considering switching it out with an iMac and an iPad.

However, every now and then it would be nice to have a laptop, but i feel having an iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad and iPhone will be to much.

I guess i'l have to think about for the next few weeks.

Cyberguard

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Also, updating the OS of the iPad will more than likely only be possible using a PC, we can only base that on how it is now. You never know, they may find a way to implement updates direct to the device, then it truly can be a standalone device....just throwing that out there.

Unless I am mistaken (and I know it might not be the best example) Kindle 2 can do that over 3G network for example... So the idea of a "self updating" device is not completely impossible, is it ?

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
At least is not cheating on his Macbook with a cheap PC Netbook ! Now THAT would be a total shame... :D

Well yes, at least the macbook could understand that he left her for a newer, slicker, less heavy model.
Instead of something that was cheap and nasty, and not as good looking, or as smart as her.
But then again it sounds like he's planning on using the iPad as his bit on the side.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
How about replacing iPod touch with iPad? My touch is my main computer. I do about 87% of all my computing on that baby. My parents are computer haters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.