Replacment iPhone 4s..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Radioh3ad, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Radioh3ad macrumors newbie

Radioh3ad

Hey all.. new to the site.

I read thread upon thread about how to find out if your iPhone is new or refurb but none were updated to recent.

If my new serial id starts with '85' am I getting a brand new phone? and what are the rules to finding out when your phone was manufactured etc via that serial number?

Please help!

2. Radioh3ad thread starter macrumors newbie

Radioh3ad

Thanks!

Now... if it says mine was made in the 42 week of 2010... does that mean new? Would I want a more recent manufacture date or one a little further back? Would more recent = refurbished/remanufactured?

Sorry for the irrelevant questions just curious

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

just as long as it doesnt say 5K. 5K iPhone 4s are terrible. Mine has scratches everywhere on it.

4. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Interesting. According to the above serial number date algorithm, a replacement I received today (inside an Apple retail store), was made in the 15th week of 2011.

Serial - 84115xxxxxx

I asked if it was a refurb, and was told that "some parts inside -- being made of precious/rare metals -- might have been reused, but the glass and battery are completely new." Sounds like a canned answer. It had the heavy duty screen shields on both sides, but I didn't see/wasn't given any box.

15th week, 2011? Sounds like it hardly had time to hop off the transport from whence it came.

5. Radioh3ad thread starter macrumors newbie

Radioh3ad

I have read that sometime's the date of manufacture is the 'remanufactured date' and could have been it was changed, but I am not certain. It DEFINITELY was not a refurb... 84-85-86-87 etc would not be refurb phones... I hope!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What difference does it make if it was a refurb or not?
    Apple refurbs are top notch and you cant even tell they were refurbished. Like they told you battery, screen, glass are all brand new parts.

7. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

None to me. Apologies if I inferred otherwise.

It glistens as if it were new anyhow.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here, all replacements I got over the years to fix issues with "new" iphones have been good and problem free.

9. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

True. However my 5K replacement has scratches all over the steel band. Looks like from a bumper. Very surprised Apple didn't at least clean them off. Everything else is flawless so I kept it.

10. Radioh3ad thread starter macrumors newbie

Radioh3ad

It's not that it matters, just curiosity at this point. I kind of like the "idea" of having a brand new phone :D and if 85 is brand new, then that's awesome. If it's a good refurb, that also is awesome. Either way... I'm getting my iPhone 4back with no fee!

11. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I got a replacement 5K iPhone last night and its in pristine condition...I had to look up the serial to see if was new or refurbished. Only thing I don't like is that the vibrate is very loud. Which is ironic because my iPhone was replaced because the vibrate stopped working. Oh well.