Replacment keyboard for Macbook 2007?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lookatallthelov, Mar 25, 2014.

1. lookatallthelov macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a white macbook 13" from 2007. It's old, I know. I bought it refurbished from Apple and since then I've replaced a crashed hard drive/upgraded memory/battery but otherwise it's running well. Now I'm looking to replace the keyboard because the buttons are sticking and difficult to type on. I'm not good enough with computers where I feel like I can do this myself but thankfully I have a fiance who could probably pull it off. I haven't seen much online about keyboard replacement but I feel like it must be possible to do. I'm wary of buying products that are not made by Apple because I've been ripped off in the past on a discount battery website, but I will do so if someone knows of something that has proven to be reliable. Is it possible to replace the keyboard, and if so, what's the best and most cost-effective way to do so?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To replace the keyboard, you have to replace the whole topcase which consists of the trackpad, keyboard, palmreset, and power button. There are two compatible models for your Macbook. The one with the number lock and the one with the media keys. Both will work with your Macbook. They can be found on eBay for about $60-$80 for a new one. They aren't something that can be counterfeited very well or at all. Most, if not all, of the ones you will find will be OEM Apple ones.

3. Cristian .b, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

Cristian .b macrumors member

just to add to Intell´s post above there are two connector types, one orange and one silver. you need to get the right one for your macbook

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All non-unibody Macbooks, like the 2007 model, take the silver connector.

5. Cristian .b macrumors member

aha, i had heard they used different connectors spanning the same models.

6. mlsimmons macrumors newbie

Unibody keybords

how about a newer Macbook unibody? Will the black keyboards from the 2009 aluminum unibodys replace the white keyboards on the 2009/2010 white unibodys? I know that the keyboards are "part of" the top case but I have seen ways to separate the glued on metal backplate on the topcase to get at the keyboard. I can find inexpensive ($20) replacements in black but not in white and the replacement top cases for the white unibody go for a lot more ($100-165). I know that the connectors on the motherboard are the same, just not sure that the pinouts are the same

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

8. Jkj12 macrumors member

I want to do the same top case swap on my 2008 Macbook black, but i'm using a danish keyboard. Can i buy e.g. a UK top case and switch over some of the danish buttons from my old top case?