Replica battery query

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew H, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Andrew H macrumors newbie

Hello,

A quick question:

Is it possible that a replica A1281 Macbook Pro (Late 2008) battery would cause the 85W adapter to fail?

I bought this one:
    http://www.7dayshop.com/batteries-a...mb772-mb772-a-mb772j-a-mb772ll-a-4600mah-lp12

The first battery I received didn't work at all so I sent it back for a replacement. Second battery worked fine, however after 2 cycles the 85W adapter failed (no frayed wires, sparks or evidence of broken wires inside the casing). I just got back from Apple with a replacement adapter and all is fine now, but I have gone back to using the original Apple A1281 battery just in case. A bit reluctant to try the replica 7dayshop battery for fear of breaking another adapter! Any advice please?

Worth noting that the replica worked perfectly - no overheating, long battery life and appears to be well made.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Can't say.

Out of curiosity though, I would hook up an ammeter, like a kill-a-watt, and measure current draw from charging an original vs a copy to see if the copy draws an extraordinary amount of power thereby potentially causing premature failure.

3. Andrew H thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, that's not a bad idea! I don't own an ammeter but I'm sure a family member or friend will have one so I'll ask around and check it out.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK