Replica/Real Element Case Black Ops Comparison Photos

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Partridge, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Partridge macrumors 6502

EDIT: Working on attachments. :(

I have the real Sector5 BlackOps, and I purchased a replica from Caseswill (shipped from China) for comparison.

TLDR: It's Crap, but what do you expect for that price?

I'm going to dump some comparison photos with commentary.

The fake box is a bit bigger and has a glossy printed cover with pretty poor color saturation. Then again, when I originally received the real thing my first thought was that the box looked fake too.

Slight difference in presentation (no window on the fake box), but otherwise very similar.

The fake comes with some very narrow rash guards made out of a thicker material. No bezel protection at all.

The manual is clearly copied directly from the real thing.

Hard to see here, but the case comes with 4 rectangular foam stickers to insulate the phone from the case, as well as a power button with a lightly etched crosshatch pattern.

Attached Files:

2. Partridge thread starter macrumors 6502

The nylon case is quite different. Very poor quality and flimsy, much smaller than the real thing, much more flexible, and no embroidery or tags.

I tried to get a shot of the finish. It's shiny, the edges are definitely sharper and the surface finish is rougher with visible lines.

Attached Files:

3. Partridge thread starter macrumors 6502

The "Backplate" is a cast rubber piece with an adhesive backing.

It's quite soft and rubbery. The pattern is similar to the real thing, but is nowhere near as 3D. The size of the rubber piece is slightly undersized, probably due to shrinkage after molding. The adhesive backing seems like it would peel away from the rubber easily, and you can see the thickness of it in the shot with the rubber flexed.

Attached Files:

4. Partridge thread starter macrumors 6502

Here you can see the real and the fake side by side and compare the finish.

The fake here is clearly painted, not anodized. The button is lightly etched instead of machine knurled. There are definite variances in the sizing of the holes and the plastic spacers.

The last photo shows the difference in texture and design between the real and fake backplates. The real back plate is a stiff piece of 3d machined composite, and it feels completely different.

Conclusion?

I didn't even bother putting the fake on my phone. The quality is quite poor. I'm not even convinced that it's made of aluminum. From how it feels my best guess is that it is cast zinc alloy that has been painted.

From looking at the photos on aliexpress, I'm quite sure that there are better quality fakes out there, ones that come with better stickers and more accurate design. This isn't one of them.

Giveaway!:

First person to reply in the thread that they want it can have it. (USA only, since I'm mailing it out for free).

Attached Files:

5. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

6. Partridge thread starter macrumors 6502

PM'd you.

7. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Thanks! I'm sure my nephew will appreciate it!

8. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

oh no!! im no longer looking fwd to mine now. :(

9. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

10. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

Excellent review! I don't mind knock-offs when they are sold as such, but hate it when I see people on eBay and such trying to sell them as the "real deal". Hopefully this comparison will help people who may be considering buying a fake so they can know what to expect. Well done.

11. Partridge, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

Partridge thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

I bought the fake just to see what it was like, but it was worse than I expected.

From looking at photos online, there are definitely different versions of fakes, but all of the black ops fakes I have seen appear to be like this one.

I could probably have put it on eBay for a profit but frankly I can't conscience that considering its a fake and poor one at that.

What I can't stand is when the people who advertise fakes claim the same specs as the original. If people knew they were getting cheap cast pot metal that's been painted and a rubber back instead of machined aluminum and G10, I don't think there would be as many takers.

12. vodavoda macrumors member

I second this. I own the FE original and a fake black ops. The quality really sucks for the fake. It's also loose when installed.

13. wrkactjob, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Would love a real Element Black Ops case but they don't seem to be on sale in the UK...you can get one through Ebay but with UK taxes your looking at a final price of $300 which some may think a tad steep for a case.

~Sigh~

Edit 14/02/13 Update

I have no self control...just ordered one today via Ebay, lets see how long it takes to get to the UK and how much tax I get stung for. I did ask the selling company if they could mark it as 'Gift' with a $5 value to avoid paying the tax but it was a no go.