replicating NSButton Checkbox

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by icewing, Oct 12, 2009.

1. icewing macrumors 6502

In Interface Builder, there is no checkbox, like the NSButton in Appkit available for OS X applications, only UIButton. I've searched and found a few examples using custom icons, which were OK, but I'd like to use the same images that Apple uses for the OS X checkbox. I looked but couldn't find the .png images - do they exist anywhere?

Thanks!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you considered using UISwitch instead? Works very much like a checkbox (toggles two states) and will be familiar to end users.

3. icewing thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I have, but I don't like the look. It's going to be in a tableview, and the UISwitch takes up a lot of real estate. Check boxes have a long history in lists, and I'm wondering why Apple didn't include that for iPhone apps...hopefully someday they will.

Any idea if I might be able to find the images anywhere?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Well, if you're doing checkmarks in a tableView, you might want to consider using UITableViewCellAccessoryCheckmark.

As for where the images might be, sorry, I have no idea.

5. icewing thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip, I'll check into it. Newb out...

6. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

If you want to use the checkmark as an accessory see the Accessory sample code. It shows how to toggle between two images as the accessory view for a table view.

I don't know if anyone has written a toggle button that will just toggle between two states and two appearances.

View this link for a way to get all the UIKit images

http://snipplr.com/view/13894/extract-uikit-artwork/

7. icewing thread starter macrumors 6502

that link is broken - tried searching and no joy - can anyone point me to a way to do this? Thanks!

8. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

The method in that link doesn't work anymore. I don't know of a way to get all the images currently.