Replicating Proximity Sensor Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EnterTheSwamp, Jul 13, 2010.

1. EnterTheSwamp macrumors member

I just received my iphone last friday from apple and have been dealing with the proximity sensor issue from day one. I have been debating whether to take it back for an exchange or wait for a patch. My main issue was if I take it into the store I would have a tough time replicating the issue, but I seem to have nailed it down.

If I hold it up to my ear and slowly move the phone around it seems to hit a certain spot that the sensor doesn't pick up. Its still a bit finicky to duplicate, but its the only thing I have found. Has anyone else found a better way to duplicate the issue? More importantly those with this issue, have you gotten an exchange that works?

2. Sledutah macrumors regular

They all have the problem, no use exchanging it. Hopefully a software update is going to fix it. If not return it for a refund before you 30 days is up.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I did the same thing, practiced until I could get the screen to turn on/off while held to my ear every time, and had no problem getting a replacement. The replacement is exactly the same, as I thought it would be. The real reason I wanted a new one is because I dropped the first phone on hard tile and it took a small gouge out of the plastic bezel surrounding the glass. Purely cosmetic, but annoying nonetheless.

It's so nice that every iPhone has had flaws like this. The case cracks on the 3G and 3GS, and now the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4. Apple basically keeps me in shiny new iPhones year-round.

4. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

interesting because mine doesn't

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

it probably does, but haven't experienced it yet, it depend a lot on how you hold your phone to your face while talking.

I haven't had any issue with the prox sensor, cero, however my girlfriend had, all the time (she got a 16GB on release date, I got my 32gb last week). I exchange phones with her for 2 days. She experienced the same issues with my phone while i had cero issues with her while using it.

6. bigdaddyjo macrumors member

I've got a slightly different take on the proximity sensor issue. The first phone I got would call FaceTime, dial numbers, end calls, etc when I had the phone to my ear and was talking. It was so bad that when I called Applecare to get the phone replaced I had to put it on speaker and put the phone on the counter after hanging up on the rep twice and punching a bunch of numbers at him with my cheek.

The new one I got as a replacement hasn't yet given me a problem when I hold it to my face, but I do have similar issues (although FAR less frequently) when I talk with the phone cradled on my shoulder instead of held to my face.

I think there's two issues here, which may explain the widely disparate responses. There's an issue with the sensor being not responsive enough (or too responsive) that's probably related to software, and there's an issue with phones out there that truly have defective hardware.

7. bmwhd macrumors 6502a

bmwhd

If mine does, I can't make it happen and I've tried every combination I can think of. My prox sensor works 100% of the time.

8. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

i've been on hour long calls, moved the phone around, changed ears, held it with my shoulder and still no issues! maybe you have thin ears that allow too much light in?

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Not sure, but as I said, I am right there with you, done the impossible to replicate the issue and I haven't be able to, however my girlfriend got a hold to my phone and she was having as many issue as she was having with her own. while I was using her ..cero, none!..:eek:

I don't have an explanation for you, I am just offering the result of a very informal experiment me and my girl did, I am glad that I don't experience those issues, but i do believe that all phone are subsectible to that issue that exchange them is not going to improve it (this is my opinion, by any mean no facts, based on my own testing and usage))

10. Sledutah macrumors regular

The distance the screen turns off is different on some phones for some reason. Test the distance when the display turns off. Call 611 and then move your finger slowly towards the sensor. When the screen turns off, measure the distance between your finger and the phone. People with the most problems (including me), the distance is 3/4". Less frequent problems, the distance is ~2". The distance isn't the total problem. I can hold the phone tight to my ear and not move it. While looking in a mirror, I can see the screen flicker on/off, sometimes staying on for 5-10 seconds.

11. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

For those of you who went to the Genius Bar to exchange based on this issue, did you encounter any resistance from the Genius Rep? What or how did do you mention it and did you get it swapped?

12. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

The genius bar guy told me initially that we have to learn to adjust to the new location of the sensor by holding the phone a bit differently (!)

But then as we were talking he whispered he and others working with him have the same problem. He is hoping the iOS 4.0.1 update fixes the issue....

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

that makes sense! my screen cuts off with my finger very far away

14. bigdaddyjo macrumors member

Turns off at about an inch to an inch and a half on the new one. The old one was more like half an inch.