Replicating the way OS X handles multiple displays in Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by cosmicjoke, Apr 12, 2014.

1. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

In OS X, when manually power off a monitor or switch inputs on the monitor to something other than the input plugged into the mac, it automatically disables that display (it disappears from system preferences > displays > arrangement) and is no longer part of an extended desktop.

In windows, however, this is not the case for me, as long as the cable is plugged in it remains a part of my extended desktop whether the monitor is off or on another input, unless of course I manually disable it in control panel > displays > screen resolution > multi monitors tab...

I was just curious if there was any possible way to automate this behavior in windows, 3rd party software or w/e, heh.

Actually, if anyone can even deftly describe what this feature in OS X is called with key words that would turn up some google results so I can research this myself I'd appreciate that, cuz I'm not turning up much.

2. cosmicjoke, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

cosmicjoke thread starter macrumors 6502

am starting to think this has more to do with hotplugging and displayport than an osx vs. windows thing.... my mac is plugged in to my two u2713h displays with both of its thunderbolt ports, where as the pc uses dual dvi from each display to a gtx 680, gonna test the gtx 680s displayport and get to the bottom of this

lmao, yes, it's a matter of displayport and hotplugging, behaves identically in windows as os x when using displayport.... now i need two more displayport cables, heh...