Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
It seems that you can reply from lock screen without using the passcode or Touch ID?

I know you can disable the feature all together, but wouldn't a better solution let you type out a reply on the lock screen, and send it using Touch ID?

Now if my phone is on the side, and I get a text, anyone who is around can reply to my messages.

Seems a bit of an oversight.

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
It seems that you can reply from lock screen without using the passcode or Touch ID?

I know you can disable the feature all together, but wouldn't a better solution let you type out a reply on the lock screen, and send it using Touch ID?

Now if my phone is on the side, and I get a text, anyone who is around can reply to my messages.

Seems a bit of an oversight.

Yeah, I don't know why they've done that. I used to have my message preview disabled in iOS 7 so nobody could see it, when iOS 8 came along if I kept it the same then I couldn't use the quick reply feature.

I'd like to be able to have no preview, slide to reply then it asks to use TouchID and let's you reply. That would be fine with me.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
A passcode or touch scan is required to reply from the lock screen for me. Once this is done, I am taken to the messages app.

That's not replying from the lock screen.

Try swiping to the right on the notification. It allows you to reply without ever going to the messages app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, I don't know why they've done that. I used to have my message preview disabled in iOS 7 so nobody could see it, when iOS 8 came along if I kept it the same then I couldn't use the quick reply feature.

I'd like to be able to have no preview, slide to reply then it asks to use TouchID and let's you reply. That would be fine with me.
If you are going to unlock it might as well have it take you to the Measages app where you can reply.

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
If you are going to unlock it might as well have it take you to the Measages app where you can reply.

I wouldn't want to unlock it, you should be able to slide, hit the reply button then use TouchID for it to open the quick reply.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I wouldn't want to unlock it, you should be able to slide, hit the reply button then use TouchID for it to open the quick reply.
You are already unlocking it essentially by using TouchID then.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
But, if you have the phone locked and are therefore not even using an app, does it matter if you go to the messages app to reply or reply on lock screen? You aren't interrupting anything, since you had the phone locked!

Touch ID unlocks the phone. You are asking for an alternative use of the Touch ID on the lock screen that could cause some confusion. Touch ID should unlock the device, period.

njchris

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca USA
Isn't there an option in the touch ID & passcode settings for "reply with message" ? I haven't tested it but if it's off I would assume you need to unlock first to use the quick reply? I'm not sure what the OP is saying to send it using touch id???

that just sounds odd.

Aidy06

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
But, if you have the phone locked and are therefore not even using an app, does it matter if you go to the messages app to reply or reply on lock screen? You aren't interrupting anything, since you had the phone locked!

Touch ID unlocks the phone. You are asking for an alternative use of the Touch ID on the lock screen that could cause some confusion. Touch ID should unlock the device, period.

Yes it does matter, what's the point in QR if I eas to be taken to the Messages app each time.

It's the same as when I get an email notification on the lock screen, you can slide and get the options of mark as read or delete. If you hit delete you then have to input your passcode or use the Touch ID sensor, then it deletes the email and puts your screen back to sleep.

I'd want the QR feature to work in the same way.

planetgirth

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
I am using Swift Key and have had 3 times where I could not get any keyboard to come up in messages. Had to restart each time to get it working. Also at least once where it opened the apple keyboard and I hit the globe to get to swift and the keyboard just went blank, did not go to the bottom, acted like it was going to open the swift keyboard but nothing.

Anyone else having these issues?

If you delete the apple keyboard and then decide you want it back is it in the app store?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Isn't there an option in the touch ID & passcode settings for "reply with message" ? I haven't tested it but if it's off I would assume you need to unlock first to use the quick reply? I'm not sure what the OP is saying to send it using touch id???

that just sounds odd.

Yes, there is an option in the TouchID settings called "Reply with Message".

If you have this OFF, and you swipe from right to left, you now only get the X to close the message.

If you have this ON, and you swipe from right to left, you get both the X and the reply button.

-Kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.