iPhone Reply to text messages from iOS7 notification center

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by donrsd, Sep 25, 2013.

1. donrsd macrumors 6502

donrsd

OK......just got my iPhone 5S (was using a 3GS since I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay).

Anyway - when I get a text message & the iPhone is locked, how do I respond to the text message directly from my notification lock screen WITHOUT unlocking the iPhone?

On iOS6 I could just swipe the text message and get taken directly to the messages app to respond.
    With iOS7, everytime I swipe.....I get taken to the keypad lock screen.

HELP!!!

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can't, with Touch ID enabled you must unlock your phone with Touch ID to use it.

3. donrsd thread starter macrumors 6502

donrsd

So there's no way to swipe from the notification lock screen (where my text messages show when my iPhone is locked) and reply directly to the text message :confused:

WTF is going on

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

When I swipe to reply it makes me enter my passcode first (iPhone 5). Does it not prompt you to unlock your phone?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can, you just have to go through the step of unlocking your phone first, and then you'll be taken to the message so that you can read/reply to it.

6. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of locking your phone?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Sounds like the OP simply didn't lock the phone before 5S/iOS7 (with a passcode/password).

8. donrsd thread starter macrumors 6502

donrsd

OH NO....I always had a lock code on my iPhone 5 (iOS 6)

On the lock screen I would have my text messages 'show on lock screen'. Simply swiping on the message itself brought me directly to the messages app to respond.......just like how you can swipe up on the lock screen to use your camera (even if the phone was locked).

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

That would only be the case if you either didn't have a passcode or perhaps had it set to start working only a few minutes after the screen was locked (and you often got messages in that time period so responding to them wouldn't require the need of a passcode yet).

The way it works now is the way it worked before, nothing about it has changed in iOS 7.

10. hafr macrumors 68030

Swipe to answer works the exact same way in iOS 6 as in iOS 7. In case you had a pass code set but could swipe to answer without having to enter the pass code, there are two options:

Either you had a time set for asking for a pass code, and have a foggy memory. Or your phone bugged the hell out and you interpreted a huge problem specific to your phone as a feature.

11. kolax macrumors G3

And swiping on the message now still does the same thing.

What's different is when you get a message, if you swipe anywhere but the message, it'll unlock your iPhone and show you the home screen. You actually have to swipe the message/notification to be taken to that app.

12. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

You swipe on the message and then use the finger print scanner, and boom, goes right to the messages app. Not sure what the problem is.

13. aznxscorpion517 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. In iOS 6 I was able to have my phone locked immediately and require a password to unlock BUT at the same time had the option to reply to texts/messages WITHOUT entering a password (it's a feature in the password settings). It was good for quick replies and to allow someone who found your lost phone to reply to you if you text them/your lost phone. Now with iOS 7 I can't do that anymore and no matter where I swipe on the screen (even the notification) I get the password screen instead unlike with iOS 6.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Can you find any article, documentation, photos, videos or anything like that about that kind of feature in iOS 6. I don't think I have ever heard of it the way you described it and would be very curious to actually see some actual information about it.

15. aznxscorpion517, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

aznxscorpion517 macrumors newbie

This article mentions it in the "General" section's last sentence of the 4th paragraph with a screen shot of the menu option to allow locked replying.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2010181/hands-on-with-ios-6-settings.html

And here's the screen cap by itself: http://images.macworld.com/images/article/2012/09/02-restrictedaccess-293827.png

If you're curious where this was...it was in the "password lock" section of the General settings. Last I checked it is still there but it just has no effect even when it says it is on.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Got it. Seeing that, as I recall, that's actually not the same thing--the "reply with message" option there refers to the ability to reply to an incoming call with a preset or custom text message when you don't want to answer it. I don't recall that being related to replying to incoming messages, which is separate and different from that. It's still essentially that way in iOS 7.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/ios-6-replying-to-calls-with-messages

17. aznxscorpion517, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

aznxscorpion517 macrumors newbie

Although I could be remembering wrong I do recall having this reply while locked feature with the Messages app but not with other text apps I use such as Line or WhatsApp, which I had to always unlock. I recall wishing they could do what the Messages app could.

I was thinking this is a bug to a feature that hardly anyone knows about and therefore hardly anyone uses. I don't know. It's not a huge deal but it would be nice to be able to do what I at least thought was able to before.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

While I agree it could be a useful option to have (along the lines of a quick reply feature even), unfortunately I don't think it ever actually existed (short of people either not having a passcode/password set or having a delay of some minutes before it would kick in).

19. Naor macrumors regular

They cancelled it, thank god, it's so annoying to unlock the phone after you get a notification, it always opened an app... Just swipe the notification, enter your passcode, and you're there.