Replying to e-mail using Mac Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iau, Feb 24, 2009.

1. iau macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a problem replying to an e-mail where the persons e-mail name consists of a comma between last and first name. Mac Mail sometimes treats it as two addresses. It manage to add the @... to the first name and include the correct e-mail address, while the last name (appearing first) results in an error since it's not a valid e-mail address.

I can't find where I chose separator for multiple e-mail addresses, if I want to change it to a semi colon (;), for instance. Anyone know what I should do? Adding the e-mail address to the address book doesn't seem to help.

Thanks in advance.
    - iau

2. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Comma's are not allowed in Email Addresses (see RFC 2822).

According to 3.4.1 of the specification:

and:

Hence, a comma is not allowed in an email address... So I guess you mean the name/description of the email address? Like this

"My name, is bla" <bla@mydomain.com> ?

If it's entered in your address book like that, it shouldn't be a problem. But if you type it in your TO, CC or BCC address fields in Mail they indeed will get seperated into email addresses. That's because the comma is the seperation between email addresses. So either add people with comma's in their name to address book and use those entries, or -when you type the addresses in mail yourself- don't use comma's....

ps. according to the specification you are allowed to create odd email addresses like ~@domain.com and `@domain.com (and it works, I've tried it :).

3. iau thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your fast reply!

Yes, I meant the name/description of the e-mail address. In my address book first and last name is entered separately. I list first name before last name, but some of my contacts (mainly work addresses) have last name listed first in the name/description when I receive the emails.

Should this cause a problem? It doesn't seem to happen every time - not even with the same person. This confuses me a little.

Thanks again!
    -iau