Replying to iMessages on Lock Screen

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by HoosBruce, Sep 17, 2014.

1. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

Anyone getting this to work? It is not showing me the option to Reply while on lock screen. I was pretty sure this was a new feature. I am able to do so when the notification pops up at the top, but that's it.

2. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

sorry you cant.

3. eddiec312 macrumors 6502

eddiec312

I'm not able to do this either. I thought QR was only available from the popup notification also but apparently people can do it from the lock screen.

4. lsutigerfan1976 macrumors 68000

Not sure what you mean. But if you have a message sitting there, i believe you can swipe to the right. And it should say reply from the lock screen.

5. wovel macrumors 68000

Yes you can.

----------

This is how it works. However, you may have to enable an option. It worked for me right after upgrading.

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Swipe left onto of the notification and it should reveal more options, just like in Notification center.

7. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know how it is supposed to work, but it just isn't working. At least not yet. Maybe just something that is a bug on some devices and will be fixed soon. Who knows...thanks for some of the advice though

8. Devlonc macrumors member

Swipe the opposite direction you would for unlocking your home screen

9. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

its not working for me. thats why i said you cant. maybe it isnt enabled yet. next update i guess

10. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I wonder if the issue is, having the notification show in the lock screen instead of the banner.
    I haven't tested it yet.

11. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. sjperformance macrumors 6502

sjperformance

Still not working for me

----------

Got it! Show preview for messages has to be enabled.

13. HoosBruce thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. snarestud940 macrumors 6502

Is there a way to block your voice messages from iMessage from the lock screen? Otherwise whenever you get a voice message, anyone could just press it and listen to it.

15. snowman1 macrumors regular

In case anyone was wondering, you can disable Quick Reply when your phone is locked with a passcode by going to Settings > Passcode > Reply with Message.

NOTE: one really nice touch is that if you set the "Require Passcode" option to anything other than "Immediately", you can still quick reply if you get a message within the time frame when you can unlock your phone without a passcode.

16. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

I appreciate you posting this, definitely helped me out.
    Thanks

17. zekkragnos macrumors 6502a

zekkragnos

you can't have the messages in private for it to work. Go to settings, notifications, messages and then toggle show previews and it work everywhere.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

That option was there from even iOS 7 and 6 days, before quick reply was in existence--as I recall that option is simply related to the ability to send a fast (usually already created) text message reply when someone is calling you.

19. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

Unfortunately isn't the password always set to immediately if Touch ID is enabled? That's one of the features that I wish we had the option to; being able to unlock the iPhone with a simple swipe within a certain preset time limit.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't seem like that would really be noticeably faster or meaningfully simpler than being able to do it with a simple touch of the home button.

21. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

You are right, but when the phone doesn't need to be unlocked, you don't have to do either, all you do is respond to the text message. Now with Touch ID enabled, it requires your password right away, meaning you have to unlock it to answer the message.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

So I guess one extra step of touching the home button after sliding the notification to respond then?

23. Pravda macrumors 6502a

Pravda

It's not the extra step that the issue, it's not having an option to bypass it.