Replying to SMS directly from control panel

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sunking101, Dec 25, 2014.

1. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

l keep reading that you can reply to emails and SMS direct from the control panel....but how?? If I pull down on the SMS notification nothing happens, and if I slide it then I'm only given the option to delete the notification. Pressing and holding does nothing either. What gives?

2. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

you must have "show preview" as off i guess.

3. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

You're right, I do have preview toggled off. The preview is a necessity for this function to work?

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

That is correct. If you don't have preview on, you don't know what you're replying to....

5. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

It still gives a preview in the notification centre even if preview is toggled off. That function only seems to affect the lock screen, and banners. Anyway, I switched preview on and still can't reply to SMS directly from the notification centre :-/

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Can you please screenshot what you see when you swipe to reveal options in Notification center?

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The notification center's main function is to display notifications you have received and by tapping the individual notification it should take you the app that the notification was triggered by.

There is no function of replying to a SMS directly from there. You can quick reply from a SMS banner only if preview is turned on.

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yes, you can reply directly to an SMS or imessage directly from notification center. Just swipe left on the message and hit "reply."

9. sunking101 thread starter macrumors 603

sunking101

Doesn't work for me.

10. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Can you post a screenshot of what happens when you try that?

11. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

I don't think that this is correct if I'm reading it right..

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

What you are describing is the notification banner. I'm aware you can swipe from there to quick reply.

I'm talking about the notification center that has the Today tab and Notifications tab. You can't swipe iMessage there to reply.

13. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Yes you can. Swipe left to reply or dismiss. You get other options with mail as well.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think there is a miscommunication taking place here.

This is a notification banner quick reply:

[​IMG]

This is the notification center:

[​IMG]

You can ONLY reply in both places if Preview is ON. I think there is a bug because with preview OFF you can still read the message in the notification center but cannot reply to it.

@Tyler, thanks for correcting. I had preview off but was able to read notification anyway. Threw me off.