Replying to SMS with iPad Mini

Slcflier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
Hey y'all. All of my SMS messages show up on my iPad Mini with Retina Display (Verizon cellular) but I cann reply to them from there. Both my iPad and my 5s are running beta 2. Thanks ladies and gents.

Slcflier

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
I presume you mean that you can't reply. Are you getting any error messages?
You presume correctly. Thanks. I do. It tries to send it as an iMessage and then comes back saying "Not Delivered." There is no option to send as text message, only to try again.

Attachments

Comment

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
You presume correctly. Thanks. I do. It tries to send it as an iMessage and then comes back saying "Not Delivered." There is no option to send as text message, only to try again.
Your phone has to be within range I believe. Not sure if it works remotely.

Comment

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
I don't think it works yet.

Comment

theapplefanboyj

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2014
It needs to be connected to the same wifi network or connected to the same hotspot

----------

Also my texts always used to fail until someone sent me a message that appeared on my iPhone and iPod and I could reply on the iPod after that

Comment

taldo

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2013
Like others here said, i don't think this feature works yet. Like in Yosemite, you can't send someone a brand new sms message out of your contact list. Only after they send u a message and it appears on your messages app then you can reply to them. If you try you will get the same error message of trying to send as iMessage fail. By the way, if you finished your conversation and try to continue the sms conversation after a while you will get the same error..

Comment

Tom359

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
It's definitely working, and works great for me!

I have originated and responded to SMS on my iPad Air numerous times without issue. It's one of my favorite new features! My 5S doesn't need to be on wifi for it to work, and I was surprised by that. SMS show up on both devices and it "just works"!

Comment

ProphetX

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2011
Im having this same problem when sending from my MBP with Yosemite DP2.

It actually worked when DP1 was first released but then stopped.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.