Report: Apple not giving iPhone customers what they want

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlake02, Nov 2, 2008.

1. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Really great article about Apple's refusal to give iPhone users features they want (video recorder, MMS, copy/paste, etc)

Read it here

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Same ole same ole. We all want copy/paste and somehow Jobs can't get it done. MMS -- I think he just insists we use e-mail.

3. jason72780 macrumors regular

Everyone knew or should have known the iPhone's limitations before buying it. There are things that I wish it had, but I'm not going to bitch and complain because it doesn't. There are a lot of phones on the market and money is the biggest motivator. If you don't like what it can't do, then get another phone that can. That would help apple fix those things more than a million petitions with a million sigs each.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

I agree with the above poster, doe sit really matter what we want to them if we all go out and buy it anyways? i think nooot

5. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

MMS- a lot of people don't have smart phones and are too lazy to check email on their phone. Steve, pleeeease add MMS. Yea, no copy + paste sucks, but not being able to send realtime pics for opinions etc when you're out and about sucks nuts.... Oh and View my Message is pretty much trash.

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I do agree with the many posters who say that we all knew that the phone did not have MMS when we bought it (and, although I miss MMS, I would buy the iPhone all over again!) but I think the feeling that many folks have is analogous to this:

Imagine if, tomorrow, Ferrari announced that they are releasing a new model that out performs everything on the road. It is faster, better handling, and gets better gas mileage than any other car...for any price. And it is one of the sexiest looking cars ever produced! And, the best part? It will sell for only $15,000. Sounds great right? BUT...it does not come with a radio/CD player and it is impossible to install one! (stretch your imagination just a bit for my analogy).

Now, I'm pretty sure just about everyone would want one of these cars. I would buy it in a second! Why would I pass up such an amazing vehicle JUST because it doesn't have a radio? I wouldn't. But after driving this amazing car for a little while I would become frustrated and mystified as to why Ferrari would make this AMAZING car and not put a radio in it! AND not allow me to install one! Would I still love driving my super cheap super sports car? Absolutely! But a radio would be damn nice ya know?

So, the argument that people give, "if you don't like the iPhone because it doesn't have MMS than don't buy it", really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Thanks for taking the time to read all the way through my little fairy tale! :p

7. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

Good point but at least no one in this thread has said that the iphone sucks because of no MMS. It's my favorite phone ever!!!! I just really like using MMS when I'm shopping and need a quick opinion without making someone go to their email. All i think is that the email solution is a joke. MMS is all about spontaneity and not just getting the picture across.

8. jlake02 thread starter macrumors 68020

jlake02

I disagree. When you buy an iPhone, you expect software upgrades and improvements. That's part of their selling strategy as well. I'd argue it's almost expected that a company like Apple would add such basic features that nearly all smart phones have

(On the other hand, people complaining about the lack of a touch button keyboard fall under your argument.)

9. daisuke07 macrumors regular

"ask and he shall not receive"

WTF that bitch thinks that we, the consumers, don't know what we want but he does?! That's pretty much saying we'll never get the stuff we want like copy and paste

10. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

i dont want mms. that program would be a waste of my space.

secondly, i dont care about copy and paste.

so on and so forth.

11. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

You don't need mms just use the mms email that all phone numbers have it's simple the sender can just put an email address in instead of a number works the same way.

12. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

We'll just have to know which carrier all of our contacts are on. Next, assume that they all use a very standard mms email approach and hope for the best. I'll start the excel sheet if anyone wants to help. :p

13. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

if you dont like it, dont buy it....thats the great thing about it. if you're so worried about mms and video recording...jailbreak. There are programs for both. Remember, it's an ipod, that happens to make phone calls as well. it doesnt give massages, or walk the dog.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And yet, the people who DO buy the phone seem to like it a lot.

Well lookie there. You have an article saying it's missing features and I have one saying people love it. Maybe the articles can go outside and fight each other.

15. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Nothing's perfect. You give up a few features that you don't use very often, for something much better, like the iPhone OS, apps, integration, etc. If you use MMS very often, then that's another story. :D but if you use it occasionally, just use email. Video recording, ehh I almost never use my cellphone's camera let alone the video recorder. But that's just me. How many times have you needed it? If you need it very often, bring a real video camera. Copy/Paste, umm.. what for? If you want to show some text in Safari for example, just zoom in and take a screenshot, add as attachment. You don't really need copy/paste on a phone.

16. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Read my post above regarding your comment (and the many other similar comments).

17. jason72780 macrumors regular

I dont know what some of you got in your boxes, but i didnt get anything in mine promising "features to be named later". All you are promised is what is on the phone when you buy it. Anything else is an added surprise. I dont know what Apple you are refering to, but the one that I have known for 10+ years has never done something because "everyone else has it". Its actually usually the opposite. In fact the only time I remember them caving on anything is the whole 1st gen iphone price drop thing. When you buy Apple you are agreeing to their way of "take it or leave it". Sorry if im coming off as an as$, but it just irks me when people get into something knowing what to expect and then complain about it.

18. spikedfo macrumors regular

i agree with you. we have the right to expect the upgrades.:)

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Mine doesn't play the unreleased Mini-Blu-ray Disc format. I'm pissed about that.

It also doesn't have an ethernet port. What's up with that? I can't attach a 1TB hard drive. The speaker isn't THX certified. No Dolby Digital.

Plus, no 24k gold-plated case option. This Apple company doesn't do ANTYHING I WANT!

20. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

last time i checked, you couldn't jailbreak a ferrari :D

21. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I can't find the mouse :mad:

22. firewood macrumors 604

The goal of a company isn't to give customers what they want, it's to give them what they will pay for. If you bought an iPhone and aren't returning it, Apple succeeded, you paid for it.

If companies gave noisy customers what the wanted, well beyond what they would pay for and not return, those customers would only want even more, and the companies would end up with just as many complaints and less profits. CEO's of profitable companies know better.

23. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

You are falling into the trap that many do on the main Apple forums, Assume everything that works in the US works the same everywhere else.

I live in the UK and using email is not a solution as it does not work to other phones, I can receive an MMS and go to the web link, but I cannot send one back

I only use it vary rarely, but being told to use email is not a solution

24. Aurial macrumors 6502

But surely if they put these missing features in then they would increase their customer base and attract those people who have been forced to go with another manufacturer because they can't get the features they want from Apple?

Just think how many people must've been put off buying the iPhone because it lacks MMS, etc. It's all well and good saying "I don't use MMS so there must be no need for it" but it's a massive massive revenue stream for operators and therefore a very popular feature.

Copy & Paste is a standard feature for all other smartphones because people DO use it! I used to use it regularly. How can I forward the address if a meeting which I've received in an SMS to a colleague without writing it on a piece of paper and typing it back in again? How can I then add it to a calender entry or contact? Don't forget that this phone is being marketted as good for business.

Apple need to get their priorities sorted out. If they want the iPhone to be a smartphone then they should start implimenting the features that make it one. Having exchange support and add on apps doesn't make a phone into a smartphone. You can get exchange support and install java apps on almost every single phone out there, smartphone or otherwise. Although they're written in java they seem to have comparable access to the file system, etc, as Apple is allowing their apps to have at the moment.

don't get me wrong, I won't complain about any new features they see fit to bestow on us but I think they need to start concentrating on the besic smartphone features first if they want their OS to be taken seriously.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Adults, who've made many more purchases and decisions than just getting an iPhone, do "complain", in order to push a product forward.

It's no different than those who "complained" that the iPod touch had no speaker for group or casual showing off of videos, etc.

Eventually Apple heard it enough to build one into the new touch model.