Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
iPhone is the only device capable of accessing Google?

The point of the article was that you don’t necessarily have a choice. On an Apple enthusiast page it’s likely that folks are using iPhones, hence the example.

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Google's data collection is what makes them excel at search predictions, speech-based virtual assistance, etc.

I don't see how Apple can reconcile their position on privacy with the need for data collection for the purposes of competing in any way with Google's engines.

Until Siri works equally good as Google's Assistant, Apple should focus on that instead.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
For complex searches, Google is MILES ahead. So annoying that we can't just have the best as default.
I work in a school district, and I find that Google's G Suite (Classroom, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Calendar, etc.) is miles ahead of Apple's counterparts in terms of integration with each other. However, I do like Apple Classroom's management system as well as Schoolwork's integration with 3rd apps.

In terms of having a default search engine, I find "best" is very subjective. Some people find Google's results better, but don't want Google to track what they search for.

Last edited by a moderator:

redscull

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
If it is a one time thing when setting up the machine what's the harm?
Every single selection during setup is obnoxious. Every one more thing is that much more obnoxious. Setup should default literally everything conceivably defaultable. For example, if a significant majority of people when prompted would pick Option A, then not innately defaulting to Option A without prompt/interruption is bad user experience design.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
If Apple’s search would be the equivalent of their Maps/Translation offerings, I’m so in. I left Google Maps the day Apple launched Maps. A few early hiccups aside, it easily meets my needs. I want as little Google in my life as is possible. Search, most unfortunately, is the only thing I can’t seem to fully transition. Yet.
Have you given StartPage a go? They use Google results but strip away the tracking mechanisms. There are a few nice features, take a look. It’s my go to.
I use DDG too, I like it generally - but its so absurdly US centric its a bit frustrating. When you type something to do with Paris, and the first 15 results go to Paris in Texas instead of the more obvious actual Paris, then that’s a bit of an issue.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Have you given StartPage a go? They use Google results but strip away the tracking mechanisms. There are a few nice features, take a look. It’s my go to.
I use DDG too, I like it generally - but its so absurdly US centric its a bit frustrating. When you type something to do with Paris, and the first 15 results go to Paris in Texas instead of the more obvious actual Paris, then that’s a bit of an issue.
I know nothing of StarPage, but will definitely look into it. Thanks for the heads up.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Appreciating Google's incredible foundational work and their deep knowledge of search, I would still welcome Apple doing this. On desktop, Google's results are so riddled with ads that I'm often not seeing usable results until halfway down the page; and I use a 32" monitor. So much of our perspective has been through the the lens of Google's virtual monopoly on search. What happens to results when the primary driver isn't advertising revenue?

I don't think parity with Google in 2020 is (or should be) Apple's goal for for launching this. Like maps, I think most people will be happy if it reaches parity with Google 2015. And that's likely a V4 or V5, but the need for search is so fundamental to using the internet that Apple would be crazy not to spend some of their money on a skunkworks type team/lab to try and nail it.

If it *is* 5-7 years behind Google when they launch search, I do think that's OK, but they'll need to really nail the things that they're good at. Presentation, integration across their platforms and embedding into software (ie. image search built into Keynote).

And embedding into Spotlight. I think Apple's more likely to include web search in Spotlight if they own the whole thing. Command-Space to find anything, from an application you want to launch to a light you want to turn off in your house to "what is the flight path of the Canada Goose?" to "order a pair of men's size 11 Nike Metacon5 running shoes"

milkrocket

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Maple land
Another Apple service thats gonna fail. Interoperability should be Apple’s goal. Locking people in is just going to drive them away

rgbrock1

Suspended
Feb 1, 2016
SC
While competition is good, I think a lot of people stick with Google Maps, Google Search, Translate etc. just because they are better, have more data...

Yes, Google does have more data. On you. Where you go on the net, the restaurants you visit, places you go to, how long you stay at those places, flights you take, etc., etc., etc.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Every single selection during setup is obnoxious. Every one more thing is that much more obnoxious. Setup should default literally everything conceivably defaultable. For example, if a significant majority of people when prompted would pick Option A, then not innately defaulting to Option A without prompt/interruption is bad user experience design.
I disagree - but would be happy enough with what seems to me a halfway house.

One prompt - do you want a super-default installation? Only asking more if people say they don't want the super-default.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
And what it will be called? I'd love to hear fun ideas.
This one is my favorite, and it makes sense if you remember that "Safari" is Apple's web browser.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 12.26.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 12.33.57 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: duanepatrick

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I personally share the same sentiments with this person. I'm surprised that nobody in this thread has mentioned the Apple search engine possibly being powered by Google, while having the privacy benefits of Apple (in general) and DuckDuckGo.
If it has a focus on Apple integration/privacy and is powered by Google, then I will switch to it in a heartbeat.

It would be even better if DuckDuckGo (and the masterminds behind it) were to merge with the Apple search engine…
Then again, Apple seems to be on good terms with DuckDuckGo, so a buyout could be in the realm of possibility.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 12.35.32 PM.png

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Are you being sarcastic? Do you see the irony in your post?
No it’s obvious. Google has become the gateway to information for most of us. It’s insane to have a singular company with it’s own profit driven motives in search results wield such power. We absolutely need more viable options.
This is not a good situation to find ourselves in and id rather the free market as in Apple step up rather than government intervention.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
People laugh, but I use bing just for the "bing bucks". I've received a few $100's in Amazon gift cards simply for using it... and still do.
Same here! I also find that its search results are on par with Google nowadays, but I would still switch to an Apple search engine in a heartbeat.

I still think Apple should go the Startpage route though in order for the internet to not lose their minds

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I would absolutely LOVE if Apple came up with a great (private, reliable) search engine.

Unfortunately I feel like it will be like Maps (for which I still use Google Maps) or Translate (yep, I prefer Google’s again).

I really really want to get away from Google entirely. But I also want the best results from when I search for things. Here’s hoping Apple will eventually catch up and make their versions more effective...
What’s your preference of google maps over Apple Maps? I’ve heard other countries are still catching up but if you live in the US in my opinion it’s much better. I’ve used the new translate app too and I love it. The free form conversation mode that automatically knows which language is speaking is nice. Plus all-on-device translation, so privacy.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Yes, Google does have more data. On you. Where you go on the net, the restaurants you visit, places you go to, how long you stay at those places, flights you take, etc., etc., etc.

You probably need to unplug from the world and do things the old fashion way via yellow pages, cash, horse carriages, and paper maps. What about your ISP, your credit card, the govt, your employer, travel agencies, satellites, VPN servers, your car's GPS, etc?

Do you somehow think there's no data captured there?

Reactions: PC_tech
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.