Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 2020 iPhones will all use Qualcomm's newest and fastest 5G-capable modem chip, claims a new report out of Asia today.

2018-iphone-trio.jpg

Apple is expected to launch three iPhones next year in 5.4-inch, 6.1-inch, and 6.7-inch sizes. According to Nikkei Asian Review, all three will carry the 5G modem chip designed by Qualcomm called the X55.
All three of the new iPhones will carry the most advanced 5G modem chip, known as X55 that is designed by U.S. mobile chip developer Qualcomm, four people familiar with the plan told Nikkei. The chip, which enables much faster downloads, faces such an increase in demand that there could be supply constraints, one person added.
The X55 chip offers 7Gb/s peak download speeds and 3Gb/s upload speeds, though these numbers are theoretical maximums and actual speeds will depend on carrier network. The chip is Qualcomm's first 5G chip that supports all major frequency bands, operation modes, and network deployments.

The X55 is also more power efficient than Qualcomm's X50 chip, which means it will draw less energy and will have less of an impact on battery life when connected to a 5G network.

Apple was originally planning to use Intel chips in its 2020 5G iPhones, but Intel is out of the smartphone chip business and Apple has no choice but to use Qualcomm's modem chips.

Apple aims to ship 80 million 5G-capable iPhones next year, claims the report. Apple typically ships between 75 and 80 million new iPhones each year, and it plans to close in on similar targets in 2020 and exploit 5G as a key sales driver, according to Nikkei.
"It will be the first time Apple introduces 5G iPhones ... There will be three of them and the company has set an aggressive sales target," one of the people familiar with the company's thinking said.
In July, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple will offer 5G in all three of its new flagship iPhone models to better compete with lower-cost Android smartphones that will support 5G.

Apple's embrace of 5G is expected to push carriers such as AT&T and Verizon to accelerate their investment in the rollout of 5G infrastructure and catch up with China's rapidly accelerating 5G capabilities.

By 2025, London-based GSMA estimates that China will have 600 million 5G subscribers, or about 40 percent of the global total, notes Nikkei, citing a Financial Times report.

Today's report also corroborates previous rumors that Apple will switch to a 5-nanometer fabrication process for its A14 processor next year. Apple has used a 7nm process since the A12 Bionic chip debuted in 2018, and TSMC has been Apple's exclusive supplier.

Article Link: Report: Apple to Use Qualcomm's X55 5G Modem in All Three 2020 iPhones

Last edited:
Reactions: hagjohn

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
A new report, out of my living room calls this report a load of rubbish.

Apple ships about 70M handsets in the September to December quarter each year. So this estimate is suggesting Apple will ONLY sell 5G models during that quarter.

Reactions: sugargliderdude

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
6.7-inch makes it seem like they are getting rid of the notch. Unless they are going to keep the notch and make the device taller or wider.

Edit: You learn something new every day. The notch doesn't affect the screen size.

Last edited:

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I’m going to sound like a tin foil hat person by asking this, but: are all these 5G health risks I’m reading about really unknown or is that just paranoia?

If there’s even a 1% chance they’re true, I’d love to be able to disable 5G via software.

Reactions: CanyonLizard

iGeek2019

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2019
No Selection
I’m going to sound like a tin foil hat person by asking this, but: are all these 5G health risks I’m reading about really unknown or is that just paranoia?

If there’s even a 1% chance they’re true, I’d love to be able to disable 5G via software.

I’d say paranoia more than anything but everything in life carries a risk. Dependent on your carrier they may allow users to toggle between 4/5G?

Reactions: incoherent_1

The Don Onez

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Huntsville, AL
I think they go by market research and market trends, sales engineers...

I’m not sure if the demand for 5 inch phones are high enough for them to go against what all their research is telling them.

They do have a SE coming soon.
Why can't Apple offer standard screen sizes that cater to all?

I think 5.0, 5.5 and 6.5-inch with a notchless 18:9 aspect ratio should suffice, even if the bezels are a bit thicker like that of an iPad Pro.

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Apple was originally planning to use Intel chips in its 2020 5G iPhones, but Intel is out of the smartphone chip business and Apple has no choice but to use Qualcomm's modem chips.
Or perhaps build their own 5G modem, after all that’s why they bought Intel’s modem division.

Reactions: hirsthirst

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK

Apple ships about 70M handsets in the September to December quarter each year. So this estimate is suggesting Apple will ONLY sell 5G models during that quarter.

Why can't Apple offer standard screen sizes that cater to all?

I think 5.0, 5.5 and 6.5-inch with a notchless 18:9 aspect ratio should suffice, even if the bezels are a bit thicker like that of an iPad Pro.

Is it not most likely that Apple will continue with their winning formula with a 'premium' handset in choice of a smaller or larger format, accompanied by a 'standard' handset in a medium sized format to please the maximum number of prospective customers?

Is it not most likely that they will include a 5G modem in all of their 2020 phones to benefit from an emerging global network standard & encourage reluctant upgraders with an important new feature? 5G is a big deal - maybe not to you personally, maybe not yet or ever, but it's the new & shiny and it will make many people spend money if they're encouraged to do so. See also: competitive advantage handed to others if they don't do it ...

Do you not think that they're trying to eliminate the notch, but that including an amazing array of high-spec tiny components into the smallest possible reliable package (with a decent battery as well) is quite challenging?

zombierunner

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
UK
If all 3 iPhones are getting Oled and 5g, it's going to be rather confusing what size iPhone to get.

macgician

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2015
Qualcomm X55 modem is already in Samsung Galaxy Note 10 5G variant, not a great modem for Global 5G networks, I do Not know how apple will incorporate X55 into unlocked phones. I hope apple and Qualcomm will come up with something other than X55.

Last edited:

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Qualcomm X55 modem is already in Samsung Galaxy Note 10 5G variant, not a great modem for Global 5G networks, I do Not know how apple will incorporate X55 into unlocked phones. I hope apple and Qualcomm will come up with something other than X55.

iFixit's teardown found a Qualcomm X50 modem in the Note 10 5G (same as the s10 5G), with a picture of the chip. The X55 is supposed to be "on the market" now though, so that'll be a full year before its put in a iPhone (would not be surprised to see battery life take a hit with the 2020 iPhone's...might not be a bad thing to sit out the 1st year of 5G on mainstream phones).

I’m going to sound like a tin foil hat person by asking this, but: are all these 5G health risks I’m reading about really unknown or is that just paranoia?...

Guessing the talk is actually about the microwave frequency band of 5G (Verizon is the main user of that I believe). 5G uses the same frequency bands as 4G, but can also include this new Microwave (much higher frequency band), but its the one that can't penetrate glass etc..

Last edited:

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
They're going to have to come out with a 5G-equipped iPhone, even though 5G isn't ubiquitous yet in the US. You can bet that's what the competition is going to come out with (if they haven't already), and Apple will have to if it doesn't want to lose sales.

I'll be in the market for a new iPhone next year. My 7 Plus has served me well, and it'll be time to upgrade. But, I don't live a major city so 5G will be mostly useless to me. I'm fine with that.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
6.7-inch makes it seem like they are getting rid of the notch. Unless they are going to keep the notch and make the device taller or wider.

I think it is the notch going. It is a three year circle for a major re-design, so I guess notch is going.
USB Type C
No notch
90hz or 120hz display refresh rate.
Qualcomm modem.
Starting with 120 GB storage.
Battery life just as good as iPhone 11 Pro Max or even better.
Take my money.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
I can see the top 2 tier getting the X55 to be 5G capable but the third I am not so sure. Based on what I have seen on the current and past models I would be surprised to see same modem across all three models next year. We will see if the network providers will speed up the installation of 5G but it may be more realistic it won’t be widespread until at least another 4-5 years.
[automerge]1572437749[/automerge]
Just three iPhones? What about the iPhone 8S?
I hope to see in that too but I have a feeling it won’t just to keep price low.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.