Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alltypesofstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Hello, I sell iPhones and I've occasionally had them lost in the mail when shipping them. Perhaps they were received and the customer lied or maybe they're genuinely lost in transit. It doesn't matter either way. My question is, what can I do about reporting that phone lost or stolen? I have copies of all serial numbers and IMEI's.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Did you have a tracking number and insurance from the post office or shipper? I'd assume that should cover it.

Not if the buyer refuses to cooperate with the claim, as some actions are needed from the buyer unless the tracking shows it lost during transit and never delivered. That's why smart sellers don't bother with insurance especially on ebay; the buyer has buyer protection and no incentive to cooperate. That said, signature confirmation is what protects against item not received.

alltypesofstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Similar to what the last poster said, the insurance only works if it doesn't scan as delivered. In those cases it's fine and I can deal with that. I can even file an insurance claim without the buyer with USPS which I have done in the past.
The problem is when it's scanned as delivered and the buyer says they didn't get it.
I wish I was smart enough to add sig confirmation, but I will be doing that from now on.
As for blocking the phones, is there any info there?

alltypesofstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Oh, also if anyone is interested this only happens on Amazon. eBay only requires that the package is scanned as delivered. So always pay for the signature confirmation when selling on Amazon.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Sadly, Apple doesn't/won't blacklist IMEI numbers for us. Did you sell carrier-specific devices? If so, you can get in touch with that carrier and as the owner of the device request them to block its IMEI number (for you own the device until the buyer doesn't confirm receiving it).

Having said that, an IMEI blocked by a carrier may remain blocked only within the respective country of the carrier's operation. In other words, if you sent the device overseas or if it was a factory unlocked device there is nothing much you can do to make the device unusable.

P.S. Please take my comment with a pinch of salt for I may be wrong.

alltypesofstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2015
Oh yes, excellent catch.

----------

Well the most recent case was a Verizon 5 as most of us on this forum probably know is factory unlocked. Not to mention the most recent case was also to a foreigner who was in the States but traveling back home soon to use the phone.
Still, if true, good advice. This has happened more then once and the situations have been different. Also, someone later on will be reading this thread for sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.