report: iPod Touch 5 will have 3G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FearNo1, Jul 8, 2011.

1. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this is true. It is the natural evolution of the touch, which is basically a smaller version of the ipad. It needs to be 4G tho.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-2...e-next-ipod-touch-will-have-3g/?tag=cnetRiver

Dutch blog AppleSpot.nl claims that Apple's next-generation iPod Touch will sport 3G connectivity, giving people a way to access data while out on the go without needing to find a Wi-Fi hotspot, just like they do on the iPhone.

A reader translation of the AppleSpot report from a reader on 9to5mac has the source outlet saying it will be identical to what Apple's already made available on the iPad, where you pick the carrier and get going, presumably managing the pre-paid data plan from right on the device.

2. BrHop156 macrumors member

BrHop156

No it won't, it would have to be thicker, and would have worse battery life than it already does.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk!

3. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

it'll never gonna get 3G nor 4G.And you know why ?Because even if the iphone has 4g and the ipod touch 3g,people will prefer to buy the ipod touch.. :).:apple: know what to do

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's already been posted on the forum main page

5. ESPN macrumors regular

This week or a few months back cause I can't seem to find it.

6. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i think it's the first in the right side

7. hcho3 macrumors 68030

No. It will hurt iPhone sales. Apple makes more money by selling iPhone than iPod touch. Apple gets their half of revenues from iPhone. These jailbreakers will go absolutely nuts with iPod touch 3G or 4G.

Not happening anytime so soon.

Apple will just keep iPhone 3GS as free and iPhone 4 for 99 dollars. Those prices should be attracted enough for people who are looking for cheaper options.

Most of smart phones cost 199 dollars to 299 dollars. I don't see why people think iPhone is overpriced. It is not.

If apple releases iPod touch 3G, then I will sell my apple stocks and go to Android.

8. ESPN macrumors regular

Thanks, i found it , its actually in the iOS blog which i almost never visit, i usually only view the macrumors on the front page.

Agreed, with 3G , using skype , google voice or any other service, you automatically get a phone and iPhone sales will dramatically decrease.

9. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i agree,if ipod touc 5 has 3g the iphone's sales will secrease.Apple isn't stupid

10. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

A Thought

How about apple collaborates with some other company like pinger (makers of textfree with voice) or someone else and adds VoIP to the phone app, adds that to the 3G iPod touch, and saves the iPhone as an iPhone pro with super power, adds 4G and all the latest and greatest specs, and enterprise features to it for those who don't care about price and want the best phone out there. :apple:

11. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Although I'd like to see a 3G Ipod touch it seems very unlikely.

12. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I'd rather see a MacBook Air with 3G then an iPod touch.

13. MacSE87 macrumors newbie

Here's another opinion piece I just saw on macdailynews.com, ruminating on future iOS devices and the iPod touch with 3G in particular. Interesting read, but long.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/07/10/beyond-the-iphone-5-the-future-of-apples-mobile-devices/

I hadn't thought of iMessage as another driving force to put 3G in an iPod. It's a good thought though.

Still, only Apple knows what Apple will do. We might get a small bump, or we may be pleasantly surprised with more. :)

I'm hoping for moah. :D