Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by squeeks, Jun 7, 2008.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

does it tell the mods who sent the report?

just curious

2. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

I'd have thought almost certainly yes. As it should be.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It does, yes. Again, do not feel bad to make reports. They can be used in a variety of situations, ranging from threads needing to be moved, have titles changed, to threads that need to be closed for various reasons, threads that should be wastelanded, and of course members that are causing trouble. When you report any thread that needs moderator action, you make our job easier and also make it likely it'll get addressed sooner. :)

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

We do know who submits a post report, but in most cases it does not matter. The moderators will evaluate the reported post to see whether or not there is a problem and what action, if any, is required.

However, the moderators sometimes need to understand the point of view of the post reporter, such as when the post reporter was the target of a negative comment, when they are a thread-starter not happy about the direction of their thread, or when they are involved in an argument across more than one post.

We're also aware of who submits frequent and very useful post reports. Those members should know that we appreciate their assistance in keeping the forums running smoothly and weeding out bad posts or threads.

If you need to submit a report to us anonymously, you can use the Contact form and not give us your name or user name, but we require an email address if you want a reply.

You can also send a Private Message to a particular moderator or administrator you trust, explain the problem, and ask for the information to be kept confidential.

We encourage openness, but understand that there are sometimes awkward situations requiring special care.

5. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

i just didnt know if ya'll thought i reported posts too much:D

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If somebody made a habit of reporting posts that shouldn't be reported, we'd let them know so they wouldn't waste their time (or ours) with unnecessary post reports.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Will you PM the person 'cause I do report if I think it's right to.

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Unless there is follow up required, the mods don't PM back the reporter. PMs with the offender are a private matter between the mods and the member.

If you are uncertain whether a post requires reporting or not, just report it along with a note that says you are uncertain and why it might be a problem post.